The Student Room Group

drinking whilst on antibiotics

what will happen if i do this?

i have been prescribed some antibiotics to treat an ear infection, i have just started taking them today (its 3 per day)

the trouble is on friday or saturday i intend to go clubbing/get ****faced, will this cause the antibiotics to be ineffective?

im actually deaf in my right ear atm :-(

also, how long will this take to recover :-(
Depends what you're taking.

Amoxicillin is fine. But if you're taking erythromycin it may reduce the efficacy.

But generally getting '****faced' probably isn't a great idea at best of times, let alone when you're a bit under the weather.
(edited 9 years ago)
Drinking usually makes the side effects worse.
Please i beg you stick with two rules:
1) no alcohol (i don't personaly know why this restriction exists, but it definetly is there for a very good reason)
2) stay on the antibiotics as long as you are prescribed because if you stop early, the strongest bacteria will survive and make your next ear infection (in about 2weeks) harder to cure ('survival of the fittest')
Or then just get s***faced and don't get that infection cured. Why is it so hard to just go with what the doctor says?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thestudent100
Please i beg you stick with two rules:
1) no alcohol (i don't personaly know why this restriction exists, but it definetly is there for a very good reason)

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are numerous reasons usually because alcohol can stop certain drugs working, side effects can worsen, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest