Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is this depression? Or what? :/ watch

Announcements

Lately I've felt really down about everything. I feel like nothing's worth it anymore? I'm putting so much effort into things yet feel like I'm getting so little out. I constantly feel crap about myself and so many times just wanted to give up. I never feel happy lately anymore just always so down I don't know what to do anymore :/ I hate being at college because I'm never really in the mood to go I can't concentrate because I have so much on my mind I lose sleep every night I can never stay asleep throughout a full night I don't know why I'm feeling like this I'm usually a very happy and bubbly person but recently just not myself :/ am I feeling depressed or just generally fed up?:/ does anyone else feel like this?/:

ReputationRep:
    It's most probably a period of being fed up, based on lack of fulfillment.
    The way I see it there are two standards- the one you set yourself, and the one perceived by other people. Your question is very hard to answer as it's so vague. So instead I ask;

1) Do you actually like your college course? Is it what you expected it to be and do you see it as a good use of time?
    2) Do you have any goals, things you'd like to acheive in the next year or so? Anything that'd make you think 'I'd be happy if I could do that'.
    3) Have you recently failed at something, or not lived up to something? Maybe you keep setting your sights too high, then get disappointed when they don't turn out?

Sometimes the routine of getting up and going to college seems dull and vague, especially if you still have NO idea what you really want to do. If your still living at home, that might be wearing thin too.

Time to grab a new hobby, shake your life up and try to become the BEST you you can be!

(Original post by natar)
    The way I see it there are two standards- the one you set yourself, and the one perceived by other people. Your question is very hard to answer as it's so vague. So instead I ask;

1) Do you actually like your college course? Is it what you expected it to be and do you see it as a good use of time?
    2) Do you have any goals, things you'd like to acheive in the next year or so? Anything that'd make you think 'I'd be happy if I could do that'.
    3) Have you recently failed at something, or not lived up to something? Maybe you keep setting your sights too high, then get disappointed when they don't turn out?

Sometimes the routine of getting up and going to college seems dull and vague, especially if you still have NO idea what you really want to do. If your still living at home, that might be wearing thin too.

Time to grab a new hobby, shake your life up and try to become the BEST you you can be!
    I absolutely hate the course I'm on it seems to just bore me and half the time I just don't feel like going in it's not what I expected at all :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I absolutely hate the course I'm on it seems to just bore me and half the time I just don't feel like going in it's not what I expected at all :/
    How long is the course? I'm a guessing you'll only have a few months left at it...which may be pretty bad, but do-able. If your in it for a while, get out, and do something you like.

If your going to stick with it maybe find something else to do on the side. Don't make college the focus of your day, try and act like it's a long lesson- and that the 'real' time is the time spent doing what you like. College is just the annoying bit of the day...like brushing your teeth XD

(Original post by natar)
    How long is the course? I'm a guessing you'll only have a few months left at it...which may be pretty bad, but do-able. If your in it for a while, get out, and do something you like.

If your going to stick with it maybe find something else to do on the side. Don't make college the focus of your day, try and act like it's a long lesson- and that the 'real' time is the time spent doing what you like. College is just the annoying bit of the day...like brushing your teeth XD
    Its a two year course but I'm not doing the second year... I'll still get an A-Level from this year! I've already applied for hair & media makeup for next year! Looking forward to that so hopefully I get in thanks for replying means a lot xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natar)
    I can see that you mean well and that you're a kind person, but unless you're a doctor it's probably best to avoid saying things like that; it could deter someone who needs help from visiting their GP.

OP: you're certainly describing some of the traits of depression (lack of enjoyment in things, lack of concentration, low mood, disturbed sleep...), so provided that you've been feeling like this for two or more weeks, I'd advise you to visit your GP and tell them about it. It's really best to get checked out by a professional in this sort of situation - there are options that can help you get back to being your old self. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    it's not depression, ignore anyone that says it is.

at times, life gets difficult. every single one of us here will go through such a period. it's up to you how you deal with it

(Original post by *pitseleh*)
    I can see that you mean well and that you're a kind person, but unless you're a doctor it's probably best to avoid saying things like that; it could deter someone who needs help from visiting their GP.

OP: you're certainly describing some of the traits of depression (lack of enjoyment in things, lack of concentration, low mood, disturbed sleep...), so provided that you've been feeling like this for two or more weeks, I'd advise you to visit your GP and tell them about it. It's really best to get checked out by a professional in this sort of situation - there are options that can help you get back to being your old self. Good luck.
    I don't want to worry my mother... Do I tell her I feel like this or do I just go see a doctor without her knowing? the last thing I wanna do is drag anyone down with me!

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to worry my mother... Do I tell her I feel like this or do I just go see a doctor without her knowing? the last thing I wanna do is drag anyone down with me!
    Well, if you go to see your GP, it's confidential; your mum doesn't have to know unless you want her to. She may well have realised something is up with you though, so it may actually help to talk about it with her. If you're worried about worrying her, though, you can always visit the GP by yourself (or maybe with a friend if you have someone you trust, and would prefer company?) and then see afterwards whether you feel like bringing it up with her or not.

How old are you, out of interest?

(Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Well, if you go to see your GP, it's confidential; your mum doesn't have to know unless you want her to. She may well have realised something is up with you though, so it may actually help to talk about it with her. If you're worried about worrying her, though, you can always visit the GP by yourself (or maybe with a friend if you have someone you trust, and would prefer company?) and then see afterwards whether you feel like bringing it up with her or not.

How old are you, out of interest?
    Yeah I probably would take a friend and I'm 17 I'll be 18 in a few months

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/depression.aspx

Depression self assessment tool. Should give you a better idea.

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    http://www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/depression.aspx

Depression self assessment tool. Should give you a better idea.
    17/20 :/

ReputationRep:
    17/20 :/
    Best see a medical professional then.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I probably would take a friend and I'm 17 I'll be 18 in a few months
    Okay. Good luck - hope you're feeling much better very soon!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.