Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    They charge on average 3,000-12,0000 per year, are they worth it based on wht you get back?

ReputationRep:
    Far too many unpredictable factors in something like that to generalise. Personally I don't think you can really be overqualified, and considering how insignificant the debt becomes in the long term, you haven't got that much to lose. If you're concerned, maybe go for a cheaper option; compromise on uni/course etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay Smith)
    Far too many unpredictable factors in something like that to generalise. Personally I don't think you can really be overqualified, and considering how insignificant the debt becomes in the long term, you haven't got that much to lose. If you're concerned, maybe go for a cheaper option; compromise on uni/course etc.
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jantaculum)
    :eek:
    You'd disagree? Just like an additional tax I reckon. This is a Student Loan I'm discussing, considering you can get up to 10k for Masters now.

ReputationRep:
    You'd disagree? Just like an additional tax I reckon. This is a Student Loan I'm discussing, considering you can get up to 10k for Masters now.
    Yep but they are Career Development Loans from banks - high interest rates and short repayment times when compared to undergrad student finance. Not something to be entered into lightly.

ReputationRep:
    Yep but they are Career Development Loans from banks - high interest rates and short repayment times when compared to undergrad student finance. Not something to be entered into lightly.
    Actually this is no longer the case. It was announced in the Autumn Statement that Income Contingent Student Loans would now be offered for Postgrad study; up to £10,000. Google it.

ReputationRep:
    Actually this is no longer the case. It was announced in the Autumn Statement that Income Contingent Student Loans would now be offered for Postgrad study; up to £10,000. Google it.
    Given that Masters fees are routinely £5000+, that's only a contribution towards a the combined cost of a year's fees plus living expenses. You still need some other form of funding to top that up.

The government have already said the interest rates are likely to be higher than those applied to undergrad student loans, and there's no guarantee that the Terms & Conditions in general will be as benign.

Plus once Student Finance becomes available for Masters courses to the under 30s, they will no longer be eligible for the CDL, so that can't be used as a fallback or top-up. However, the new loan does have the advantage (we assume) of not being credit checked.

The new loan is certainly a step in the right direction, but it's by no means a blanket resolution to the problem. For some people it will just maintain a status quo in the immediate future, with potential advantages during the repayment period.

ReputationRep:
    Oh believe me, I have. Every last little detail, every Term and every Condition. I wouldn't be eligible.

Unfortunately as Klix says there are no guarantees. It's one of those pre-election suggestions that might or might not happen (subject to the government being re-elected, subject to them deciding whether they can actually afford it after all...) Rather like the abolition of tuition fees for undergrads and a million and one other promises that never came to anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh believe me, I have. Every last little detail, every Term and every Condition. I wouldn't be eligible.

Unfortunately as Klix says there are no guarantees. It's one of those pre-election suggestions that might or might not happen (subject to the government being re-elected, subject to them deciding whether they can actually afford it after all...) Rather like the abolition of tuition fees for undergrads and a million and one other promises that never came to anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Klix88)
    Given that Masters fees are routinely £5000+, that's only a contribution towards a the combined cost of a year's fees plus living expenses. You still need some other form of funding to top that up.

The government have already said the interest rates are likely to be higher than those applied to undergrad student loans, and there's no guarantee that the Terms & Conditions in general will be as benign.

Plus once Student Finance becomes available for Masters courses to the under 30s, they will no longer be eligible for the CDL, so that can't be used as a fallback or top-up. However, the new loan does have the advantage (we assume) of not being credit checked.

The new loan is certainly a step in the right direction, but it's by no means a blanket resolution to the problem. For some people it will just maintain a status quo in the immediate future, with potential advantages during the repayment period.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Klix88)

Of course you'd need additional funding, but as you say it is definitely a step in the right direction. With a part time job/savings it's doable, and as I said to the OP you just may have to compromise on uni/course.
    Again nothing's guaranteed, so all we can do is assume and save.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how I managed to quote you both in that twice then 😂

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently studying a Masters in Post Production Editing at Bournemouth University. I also studied my BA here, and part of my decision to return was the alumni discount (20% off!).
    I'd recommend looking at the uni you graduated from, and whether they offer a similar discount. I also was then awarded a 25% fee scholarship, and I got 5% discount for paying in full before the start date (I did this by getting a loan through Student Funder - it's a private loan but aimed at PG students, check them out!).
    I'm also working whenever I can. It's tough work but I thrive on being busy - I'm an inherently lazy person, so if I have a few hours to spare, I'll just slob around doing nothing, so keeping on my toes has been really good for me!

Alice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliBonce)
    Hi all,

I'm currently studying a Masters in Post Production Editing at Bournemouth University. I also studied my BA here, and part of my decision to return was the alumni discount (20% off!).
    I'd recommend looking at the uni you graduated from, and whether they offer a similar discount. I also was then awarded a 25% fee scholarship, and I got 5% discount for paying in full before the start date (I did this by getting a loan through Student Funder - it's a private loan but aimed at PG students, check them out!).
    I'm also working whenever I can. It's tough work but I thrive on being busy - I'm an inherently lazy person, so if I have a few hours to spare, I'll just slob around doing nothing, so keeping on my toes has been really good for me!

Alice
    I wish I went for the discount, I upgraded from a worse uni to a better one and paid more because I thought it would have more opportunities. Lest to say the better uni was no better in teaching than the lower ranked one. In most areas it as much worse. On another vein you have to study qualifications to get accredited for area and I was studying a real life go-in-classroom msc degree where you have to go to the uni a few days a week from hich I learned nothing, then I found an equally accredited but online (and £1,000 cheaper) degree so I dumped the traditional msc in favour of the online one. Never regretted it and didn't waste time in classrooms learning nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting at Exeter in September, MSc Mining Geology and will be taking a Career Development Loan (probably the full £10k). No way I could afford otherwise. Tuition fees are £11,300 alone. Expensive but hoping it will be worth it come September 2016.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.