Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an AS Student who is really struggling with C1, we have finished all of C1 itself and I'm still getting U's We've done 3 formal assessments and I got a U then B then a U... This last U was in June 2014 paper, I got 31/75 :| I just found it so hard. I need help to improve but I dont know how, I have gone through the entire C1 book and done all the examples and looking at online tutorials etc but nothing is working... My homework is good though which is what I dont get... I done the January 2006 past paper and got 72/75 yet I cannot complete formal assessment to the same standard, its getting really frustrating now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolpalolpalol)
    I'm an AS Student who is really struggling with C1, we have finished all of C1 itself and I'm still getting U's We've done 3 formal assessments and I got a U then B then a U... This last U was in June 2014 paper, I got 31/75 :| I just found it so hard. I need help to improve but I dont know how, I have gone through the entire C1 book and done all the examples and looking at online tutorials etc but nothing is working... My homework is good though which is what I dont get... I done the January 2006 past paper and got 72/75 yet I cannot complete formal assessment to the same standard, its getting really frustrating now!
    This inconsistency is probably the result of silly mistakes and lack of deeper understanding, or practice of exam style questions. Try to ensure you understand why the maths works in C1. 95% of C1 is plug and chug, but it can't not help to understand it at something more than a superficial level.

When revising the material, learn it as if you had to teach it to someone else. Imagine the questions they could ask 'Why does this work'? being the one you should ask about everything.

ReputationRep:
    Don't repeat until you've done all upto fp3 and c4. Then you'll understand c1
    Is nothing in comparison hehe!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If it's any consolation, all of last year's summer exams were significantly harder than any previous ones, so I've found.

If anyone in your class performed better than you did for the June 2014 paper, ask them for advice or perhaps some sort of study sessions.

You said that you've done all the examples - I'm not sure if this means that you've exhausted all the questions in the book. If you haven't done that, I'd suggest going through each topic again before attempting those questions and see where that gets you.

Then do past papers under exam conditions (even if you've done them before) and for each question understand where you've gone wrong/why it's right and revisit topics if needed.

ReputationRep:
    i'd just practice loads, thats all you can really do with maths. try doing past papers at home but time yourself and in "exam conditions". have you heard of http://www.hegartymaths.com/a-level ?? they do step by step videos on alevel stuff. its really good if you are completely stumped on a topic, because he explains everything really simply, and teaches you how to apply it. (plus its especially for the edexcel board so its p good)

ReputationRep:
    With C1 I find that the exam questions are formatted differently to those you are given in the textbook. Even if you understand it in the textbook it is different to how they will ask you about the topic in the exam, cause examiners suck

I find that actually understand what the types of questions there are in C1 and how the examiner wants you to answer them will help a lot, and to do this it is just to practise exam papers, it will probably take at least 5 papers to properly get the hang of it and make sure you're using the mark scheme, and try and see if there are any sort of trends through the different papers !! Hope this helps !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamKeene)
    This inconsistency is probably the result of silly mistakes and lack of deeper understanding, or practice of exam style questions. Try to ensure you understand why the maths works in C1. 95% of C1 is plug and chug, but it can't not help to understand it at something more than a superficial level.

When revising the material, learn it as if you had to teach it to someone else. Imagine the questions they could ask 'Why does this work'? being the one you should ask about everything.
    To be fair a lot of the marks that were lost were due to some silly mistakes, but on some questions I should have got follow through marks where I made a mistake at the beginning but the working out was correct later on. I recently tried to teach it someone before doing another paper myself and I got a D so I'm pleased-ish but I need Maths to be an A ideally at the end of AS :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    If it's any consolation, all of last year's summer exams were significantly harder than any previous ones, so I've found.

If anyone in your class performed better than you did for the June 2014 paper, ask them for advice or perhaps some sort of study sessions.

You said that you've done all the examples - I'm not sure if this means that you've exhausted all the questions in the book. If you haven't done that, I'd suggest going through each topic again before attempting those questions and see where that gets you.

Then do past papers under exam conditions (even if you've done them before) and for each question understand where you've gone wrong/why it's right and revisit topics if needed.
    Yeah that's what my teacher said too. I'm just slightly freaking out that the exam for us will be even harder :/ and the highest anyone got was an E and tbh I need to get better. I done another paper before and it was a D so I am improving but tbh I haven't got the time, I need to be achieving higher grade and fast Wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace1997)
    i'd just practice loads, thats all you can really do with maths. try doing past papers at home but time yourself and in "exam conditions". have you heard of http://www.hegartymaths.com/a-level ?? they do step by step videos on alevel stuff. its really good if you are completely stumped on a topic, because he explains everything really simply, and teaches you how to apply it. (plus its especially for the edexcel board so its p good)
    Thanks for the link, will certainly have a look at that (y)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Lolpalolpalol)
    Yeah that's what my teacher said too. I'm just slightly freaking out that the exam for us will be even harder :/ and the highest anyone got was an E and tbh I need to get better. I done another paper before and it was a D so I am improving but tbh I haven't got the time, I need to be achieving higher grade and fast Wish me luck!
    I can't say for sure how hard it'll be, but I'd guess it won't be way harder than the 2014 one - otherwise it would be inaccessible to AS-level students.

So just learn from your mistakes from the past papers and squeeze in as much revision time as possible.

Good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.