Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I've been studying an MSc conversion in CS and am finding it isn't for me as the tuition is appauling and it is moving too fast. I don't have an undergraduate degree in a science subject. I enjoy programming but would like to do something slower and less pressured, and take my time learning and understanding things, but I am a mature student and don't really want to spend 3 years doing another undergrad. Does anyone know what courses are respected by employers apart from BSc, Msc? I have tried to do extensive research online and asked the careers guidance, and there are other smaller qualifications out there say in Java, in Web technology and other languages, but I don't know if it's worth my while doing them... does anyone have any ideas about what qualifications employers may respect? I realise this is place where we are all students, but some of you may have more idea than me.

ReputationRep:
    First off, I would still recommend finish your masters. At least you got a qualification, look at college courses locally and see if they are any short intensive course in programming. Then look at networking with people in the area, maybe local programming club. Check Meetup for these networking opportunities, search for IT conference. Use British Computer society for better ideas on breaking in the industry. Programming requires bit passion to do well in it. Check a few youtube videos and use resources online. Maybe apply for IT support or testing, network your way into that specific company and branch out into software dev. Check QA roles, they are good way to get your foot on the door.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.