Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,my name is Rizos. I'm 22 years old,Greece. Since I've finished school I studied at a Greek/American university but then later dropped out after the first semester because I didn't feel like it was providing what I really needed ,and I wanted to do a fresh start. Since then I've had some shots at the SAT's but I realized that USA universities are way too expensive and it would be way too difficult to travel from there to Greece more than once a year. I have now decided that I want to study in the UK ,but I don't know where to start from. I'm interested in renewable energy sources and several biological studies. If you want me to provide any additional information I would be glad to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing finance will be an issue for you. As an EU student you get get a Tuition Fee Loan from the UK Student Finance system. That will cover the entire cost of your uni tuition fees and you won't have to start repaying it until you earn more than the equivalent if £21,000 a year. However you will get no money for living costs like rent, bills, food, travel etc.

ReputationRep:
    I have around 50.000 £ at my disposal so I'm guessing it's enough for my undergraduate studies (plus everyday expenses). If not ,can you tell me the amount of money I would need ?

The thing I'm more concerned about is whether the universities are going to have a problem with the fact that I haven't been doing anything substantial for the past 4+ years. And if they don't ,what are the requirements ? What should I do from now on ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizombie)
    I have around 50.000 £ at my disposal so I'm guessing it's enough for my undergraduate studies (plus everyday expenses). If not ,can you tell me the amount of money I would need ?

The thing I'm more concerned about is whether the universities are going to have a problem with the fact that I haven't been doing anything substantial for the past 4+ years. And if they don't ,what are the requirements ? What should I do from now on ?
    Well, what have you been doing for the last 4 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheeriosarenice)
    Well, what have you been doing for the last 4 years?
    Nothing much unfortunately. Working at some part-time jobs and some volunteering at the dog shelter. Nothing related to what I want to do. By the way a friend proposed that I should apply for a foundation course due to the fact that I haven't been around books and classes for a long time. It would also make it easier for me to apply since they don't have high requirements. What are your thoughts ?

ReputationRep:
    University applications are handled through UCAS. You should go on their website and do a course search using some relevant keywords. Browse through what comes up, see if you like any of them, and if you find one that catches your eye then apply.

Ucas course search:
    http://search.ucas.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k3ro)
    University applications are handled through UCAS. You should go on their website and do a course search using some relevant keywords. Browse through what comes up, see if you like any of them, and if you find one that catches your eye then apply.

Ucas course search:
    http://search.ucas.com/
    Thanks ,I'm doing that right now

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it sounds like you're financially prepared to do it and if money seems to fall short at any point then a small part time job won't hurt.

I think in terms of your chances, you've got just as much chance as everybody else if you already have the necessary qualifications to study what you want to study, if you don't then a lot of universities offer foundation years for eu/international students which i think also come with english language studies to prepare you. all you've done really is work and get life experience which a lot of universities like these days, good luck.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.