Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help, How to request a different CPN/mental health team? watch

    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    My partner has been under the care of a community mental health team for nearly 2 years now and when she was first assigned to them we were living in the area of the city that they cover. However we have lived in the opposite side of the city for over a year now and they still have not placed her to a nearer team which means she has to travel very far by public transport to get to appointments and receive her medication.

    The CPN she has is very bullying and controlling and despite knowing how far it is to travel and that my partner is still ill will keep changing appointments at the last minute, saying she will come out and administer medication then phoning at the last minute saying 'Oh you'll need to come in'. Making appointments for 2 days in a row, then saying she's tired and overworked and is making appointments by mistake. Sometimes my partner goes all the way there and she will make her wait half an hour before saying something like 'What are you doing here today, you didn't have an appointment did you?'

    Purely for the fact we have kids, the CPN will use the social services stick to beat us with at the first sign of any non-compliance. She is overloading us with appointments and it is impossible for us to keep up with the CPN's demands.

    The CPN is always putting my partner down by making comments about her weight, her dress, her hairstyle, her habits, etc etc. Certain medications have given her terrible side effects and the CPN refused to listen and kept insisting she carry on. She practically had to beg the doctor to lower the dose in the presence of the CPN.

    My question is who are these people answerable to and how do I request a change of mental health support team that is actually near to where we live, since they are dragging it out and not transferring her care over??

    Speak to her/your GP with the nurse not there? And explain your situation
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.