Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I am currently a Year 13 student and I am doing Psychology, Maths and Religious Studies. I have applied to do Psychology and I am waiting for just one offer. I am currently predicted CCD and I got CDDE in A2 (the E was in Biology) I hope to get 1 A and 2 B's. Would be great to get all A's but I don't think thats possible.
    I will be doing 4 resits in the summer : 1 Psychology, 2 maths and 1 RS resists. By doing so I hope to go to a grade B in my AS's so that I can improve on that with my A2 exams.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This post is to confirm that PurpleGhost25175's grades have been verified!

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by PurpleGhost25175)
    Hi. I am currently a Year 13 student and I am doing Psychology, Maths and Religious Studies. I have applied to do Psychology and I am waiting for just one offer. I am currently predicted CCD and I got CDDE in A2 (the E was in Biology) I hope to get 1 A and 2 B's. Would be great to get all A's but I don't think thats possible.
    I will be doing 4 resits in the summer : 1 Psychology, 2 maths and 1 RS resists. By doing so I hope to go to a grade B in my AS's so that I can improve on that with my A2 exams.
    Nice start Do you have a study plan laid out yet? :woo: Where have you applied for psychology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Nice start Do you have a study plan laid out yet? :woo: Where have you applied for psychology?
    I have applied to Bradford, Keele, Leeds Trinity, Wolverhampton and Derby. Bradford is my first choice and hopefully Keele is my insurance. I haven't got an offer yet so at the minute it is looking like Wolverhampton will be my insurance.

I have had many attempts at a study plan but they haven't quite worked out. So now I try to do homework in my study periods at school so that I can then get revison done at home. If I do revise then I try and do past papers with the help of the text books.

ReputationRep:
    I have started doing Core 1 and 2 (maths) past papers and so far I have been getting A's and B'. I did get an E on one of the c2 papers but that was probably the highest I will get without using the mark scheme and the text book.

ReputationRep:
    I did a C1 past paper over the weekend and I only had to use the mark scheme for one question. Very pleased with that as I am starting to reduce the amount time I would have to use the mark scheme and text book to help with questions. I timed myself as well (the papers for maths take an hour and 30 minutes) and I finished the paper with 8 minutes to spare. So I am improving. I looked at a C3 paper, deemed it impossible, then started doing revision for that. I am making slow progress but maths is coming on well.
    I haven't looked at RS or Psychology but I should as I am already behind at school. This situation would not be so bad if we did not get too much homework from maths!

ReputationRep:
    I am currently an average of a D in Psychology. I hope to improve this by the summer but it is proving to be a bit of a challenge as I am struggling to answer the questions that we get given for homework. The teacher gives some help but I am stuill struggling. I think its hight time that I go see the teacher for extra help!

ReputationRep:
    My revision timetable over half term is to do a lot of past papers. We have finished the majority of the syllabus for my subjects so it's should sensible to start revision. Got to do past papers for my resists as well homework set over the holidays. Such fun!

ReputationRep:
    So I re-did a core 1 past paper and I got 71/72 which is approx 99%. It's not a bad a start but I should have not used a calculator as C1 is a non-calculator paper. On to Core 2 now.

ReputationRep:
    My main problem is laziness. I'll start doing okay and then I'll get really bored and start doing motivation. I'll get some bursts of energy but they are often short lived.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by PurpleGhost25175)
    My main problem is laziness. I'll start doing okay and then I'll get really bored and start doing motivation. I'll get some bursts of energy but they are often short lived.
    I think motivating yourself is a skill you have to learn. :bunny: I always go on about the pomodoro technique for increasing concentration - it's worth trying out, I find it really useful for helping me to focus It basically gives you short bursts of concentrated revision followed by a break. You can start off setting the timer to just 10 minutes and then build up from there. :banana:

How are things coming along for you over half term so far?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.

I have done some reading over my Psychology and RS notes. I done some past papers for maths. I still need to some more. I done most of the past papers before but I think its good practice to redo them over and over again.

ReputationRep:
    What exam boards are you on for maths and psychology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tumblrgirl96)
    What exam boards are you on for maths and psychology?
    For maths it's MEI (part of OCR) and for psychology it's OCR as well

ReputationRep:
    So this halfterm, I have to say I did not get up to much. My friend got baptised in school on the Sunday of the halfterm so I spent 2 hours at school because of that - not that I am complaining. Then on Monday I went to London with my family to see more family. That trip kind of motivated me to do well as one of the cousins I met in London looked really happy because of how good her grades have been so far (she's in Year 10). Then for the rest of week, I attempted to do revison but unfortunately motivation is not a skill I have mastered yet! But I tried doing revision for a certain amount of set time and I have to say it worked. Now the next problem is to see how much of the information have I retained?

ReputationRep:
    I have seriously started revising at school today. I woke up around 5.55 am and attempted to do a C2 paper. I didn't quite finish it off but I will deffo finish it off today. I started doing my homework on the day that it has been set. Now this is a bit unusual for me as I usually wait until the weekend or the day before the deadline to actually do the homework! But I thought if I get my homeworks out of the way, it will be good to get revison going.
    I changed a bit of my timetable as well. So I will get home by 5.30pm and then I'll get changed and practise the piano till about 6pm. Then I'll start on any homework. Then I'll have dinner (around 7.30pm) then I might play with the hamster or do more piano work and then I'll go back to my room to do more work.
    Recently I have been procrastinating a lot but I think things are picking up. But we shall have to see. I go to bed around 11.45pm but I usually read a book for ethics (RS) before I go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    So my mocks are next week and I have been attempting to revise for them. I have taken down notes for most of the topics that aew ewlwvant for my exams for Psychology and RS. For maths I have been attempting to do past papers and I find myself getting bored pretty quickly. Its not just with maths but for the other subjects as well.
    My report came yesterday as it wasn't great as per usual. My parents had a massive go at me for not trying and to say the least I have been putting more effort in now then I did at the start of the school year. I am the least cleverest out of my friends - more the class idiot and I have to say I have been trying to improve the situation. I tried explaining to my parents, my mum especially, but they won't understand. I know that I have to improve on my exam tecnique but I thought first to recap my knowledge and then start doing past papers to solidate that knowlegde. But as usual my parents thought that I was wasting my time.
    My mum keeps telling me to improve - I do try but I am not like her. She told me off yesterday a lot and this made me ruin my revision. I was getting somewhere with it but now I can't concentrate anymore. I have been regularly upset and I can't control it. I get emotional easily. She told me off this morning as well for wasting my time doing nothing but sometimes I can't help it.

ReputationRep:
    So I finished my mocks this week and I have to say that they went absolutely ****e. First was Psychology. I didn't have time to finish it as I forgot the names of 2 studies and I mixed up some of the facts. Then on Tuesday, I had Maths and I have to say that it was a lot better than some of the past papers I have done. Still I probably got an E or a D as I missed out a few questions. Then on Wednesday morning I had a Core 1 resit. That didn't go too well either. Then on the afternoon I had RS and that was the worst of all I answered the wrong combination of questions . So in conclusion I am probably going to get 4 U's and it seems intense revision is well overdue!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I got all 5 offers and I have applied for Student finance. Just need to get firm my insurance and firm and sort out accommodation. After that all I need to do is get the results and then I am ready for university!

ReputationRep:
    So for my mocks I got DDDU. I am actually pretty devastated by this and I don't know what to do. My teachers say not to worry about it but my self and my parents know that I need to work hard. It's about 3 months to my exams and I am dreading them. My friends seem motivated but I just can't bring myself to do so. I honestly want to jump of pome cliffs and kill myself but I know that is not a good plan. I just got to pace myself I suppose.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.