Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Recently bought a new PC and can't get it to boot :/ It keeps saying 'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot media in selected boot device and press a key'

Anyone know anything about this? I have a windows disk but when I put it in nothing happens

any help would be great
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jack182)
    Hi guys

Recently bought a new PC and can't get it to boot :/ It keeps saying 'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot media in selected boot device and press a key'

Anyone know anything about this? I have a windows disk but when I put it in nothing happens

any help would be great
    The PC BIOS (Built In Operating System) settings are selecting the wrong boot device so this needs to be changed.

You can access the BIOS by rebooting the PC and looking for the on screen instruction generally displayed right at the start of the boot process.

Have a look at these instructions which will guide you:

http://www.howtogeek.com/129815/begi...omputers-bios/

In short: access to the BIOS will be a simple instruction like "Press DEL for boot menu" or something similar. The actual key you need to press during boot may well be different so keep a note.

There is a time-out for the computer to accept this particular key stroke and if you miss it
    you will need to reboot the PC again.

Once the BIOS editor screen is activated you will need to locate the 'Boot Options' menu and navigate to the boot option 'priorities' or 'boot order' menu.

Once there, you need to change the priority order to select the hard drive then save the settings and exit.

Finally reboot the PC and all should be OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    The PC BIOS (Built In Operating System) settings are selecting the wrong boot device so this needs to be changed.

You can access the BIOS by rebooting the PC and looking for the on screen instruction generally displayed right at the start of the boot process.

Have a look at these instructions which will guide you:

http://www.howtogeek.com/129815/begi...omputers-bios/

In short: access to the BIOS will be a simple instruction like "Press DEL for boot menu" or something similar. The actual key you need to press during boot may well be different so keep a note.

There is a time-out for the computer to accept this particular key stroke and if you miss it
    you will need to reboot the PC again.

Once the BIOS editor screen is activated you will need to locate the 'Boot Options' menu and navigate to the boot option 'priorities' or 'boot order' menu.

Once there, you need to change the priority order to select the hard drive then save the settings and exit.

Finally reboot the PC and all should be OK.
    Hi there mate thanks a lot for the reply and information! On my PC Boot menu was F12 Anyway.. I have 4 options here and i'm not 100% sure which one to choose. I have the followin

P0: KINGSTON SV300S37A120G
    P1: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100
    Realtek PXE B03 D00
    P5: ATAPI iHAS124 E

As u can probably tell i'm a rather noob when it comes to computers, and this is the first gaming PC I have ever bought! great start

which option do u think I should choose?

thanks again

J
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Hi there mate thanks a lot for the reply and information! On my PC Boot menu was F12 Anyway.. I have 4 options here and i'm not 100% sure which one to choose. I have the followin

Realtek PXE B03 D00

As u can probably tell i'm a rather noob when it comes to computers, and this is the first gaming PC I have ever bought! great start

thanks again

J
    OK as suspected, the boot device order is incorrect.

The Kingston device is a 120GB solid state RAM hard drive which is currently booting first.

The Toshiba device is a 1TB standard hard drive and this is the one that needs to boot first as it will contain you preloaded operating system.

So choose P1.

Try that, it should now boot up.

ReputationRep:

Realtek PXE B03 D00

thanks again

J
    Itll be the Kingston drive most likely as its an SSD so if you bought from wherever, they tend to make it boot drive. Make sure with all media though that you put in on the much larger HDD by specifying that with install directories(e.g if C drive is your main drive, install all large apps onto HDD) whilst installing small stuff like office on the SSD

ReputationRep:

The Kingston device is a 120GB solid state RAM hard drive which is currently booting first.

The Toshiba device is a 1TB standard hard drive and this is the one that needs to boot first as it will contain you preloaded operating system.

So choose P1.

Why would they install as a RAM disk though, itd be much better to have an SSD just for rapid os operations. I guess half my comment was moot OR they were silly and put the OS on the slow HDD
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by marco14196)
    Why would they install as a RAM disk though, itd be much better to have an SSD just for rapid os operations. I guess half my comment was moot OR they were silly and put the OS on the slow HDD
    You are correct, I'm suspicious that they put the OS on the slower device whilst the SSD will be reserved for games use to load ultra fast.

ReputationRep:
    You are correct, I'm suspicious that they put the OS on the slower device whilst the SSD will be reserved for games use to load ultra fast.
    For games, the benefit is so so but if they had configured it as the boot drive for the OS, the whole system would have felt a lot snappier. Of course the drives are smaller unless youre up for splashing cash on a larger drive. Though saying that, you can get 500GB SSDs for under 200 now so I think we are getting closer to the end days for HDD as the main boot drive in a system. If they can solve the longevity issues of SSDs, they will grow to kill off HDDs

ReputationRep:

So choose P1.

Damn this is annoying. Still coming up with the same error :/

It doesn't seem to be changing though. I use the + sign to put the P1 as boot option one, but when it boots up again the Kingston is still option 1. I am exiting and saving the order too :/

Damn this is frustrating, I just wanna get on and play! lol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Damn this is annoying. Still coming up with the same error :/

It doesn't seem to be changing though. I use the + sign to put the P1 as boot option one, but when it boots up again the Kingston is still option 1. I am exiting and saving the order too :/

Damn this is frustrating, I just wanna get on and play! lol
    Are you actually saving the selection after placing the + next to the P1 option?

There will be a function key to do this, probably F10 or something like that and you should get an onscreen respons which says something like 'Save Boot settings and exit Y/N?'

You then need to hit the Y key.

ReputationRep:
    Hi mate

Yes I'm saving and then exiting. Maybe these 2 pictures will help. On one side it's saying p1 Is option 1, then something else shows its not....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for bad quality

Can't focus in very well on the screen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Are you actually saving the selection after placing the + next to the P1 option?

There will be a function key to do this, probably F10 or something like that and you should get an onscreen respons which says something like 'Save Boot settings and exit Y/N?'

You then need to hit the Y key.

I've got 2 disks here. one for NVIDIA drivers and utility and one for motherboard. on the 'welcome' guide for my PC it doesn't say I need to insert any of these, should i?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marco14196)
    Itll be the Kingston drive most likely as its an SSD so if you bought from wherever, they tend to make it boot drive. Make sure with all media though that you put in on the much larger HDD by specifying that with install directories(e.g if C drive is your main drive, install all large apps onto HDD) whilst installing small stuff like office on the SSD
    Thanks for the reply mate! Still no luck tho :/ So frustrating, not the best start to my computer gaming life....

Nothing is ever simple with me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.