Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi All,

I'm originally from Scandinavia and have been studying in the UK for 4 years now, about to graduate from a reputable UK university, most likely with a first degree (BBA). I have been here 4 years because I also did a year in industry as a Marketing Assistant.

For my final year my plan has been all along to complete a online MSc in Business/Management because of the fact that I wouldn't need to stay in the UK anymore and I would be able to find work on the side. Nothing particularly against the UK but I feel I've been here long enough now. I will be able to cover the costs with a student loan and grants from my home country government.

My plan is to move to South-East Asia, where I have built many business connections and plan to find full or part time work along completing my masters degree. Other reasons for moving to Asia include the fact that my student grant I'm living on will be worth a lot more over there and I also have plans of possibly settling down over there permanently.

I have been doing research on the online masters degrees and at least the following universities are offering them on an online distance learning basis:
    -University of Leicester
    -University of Liverpool
    -London School of Economics (its sister universities)
    -University of Essex

Usually the degrees take 2 years to complete and are flexible if you need more time. All teaching is online and exams are held in exam centers around the world or in the UK, where ever the student likes.

Do any of you have any experiences of doing masters degrees online for business?

Was it easy to study and get your work done and did you get the support needed from your tutors?

Once you graduate, does your certificate actually mention it was an online course, or simply say that "graduated with a MSc in Management from the University of XXX"?

Do employers see online masters degrees as less valuable than on-campus ones? Personally I think that we do live in 2015 now and it would be perfectly normal to do one online with the technology we have nowadays. Also, an applicant who had worked simultaneously and completed a degree would seem more attractive to me as an employer, than someone who had simply extended their studies by a year to do their masters. Opinions?

Also recently I have been reading some reviews about certain courses, e.g. at the University of Liverpool. Some people were saying that the courses are very bad, support is minimal and that it's just a sort of a "degree mill" that does everything to sell their courses in a high volume. Also it was said that the UoL is only selling their name for an American online degree company, Laureate, so the involvement of UoL is limited in reality.

Any discussion regarding online business degrees would be great!
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.