Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am trying to apply to this college but the application page is insecure which means that all your private details including national insurance numbers, dates of birth address and so are sent in clear text.. This makes anyone that is applying vulnerable to eavesdropping.

I really want to apply for this college but my concerns which I have raised to them on behalf of myself and every other prospective student international etc have been ignored. I don't think they are taking peoples security with their private and confidential information seriously.
    Has anyone got any advice e on which should be my next step? I feel that in today's day and age, it should be guaranteed that our information given is secure or we should otherwise be warned on the webpage and given alternate methods to apply but there are not within the city of Glasgow college website.

For anyone that is not in the know how, It takes seconds to eavesdrop all this information from their site as there is no padlock, the page is unencrypted.

Thanks for your advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesmacleod1)
    Hi there,

I am trying to apply to this college but the application page is insecure which means that all your private details including national insurance numbers, dates of birth address and so are sent in clear text.. This makes anyone that is applying vulnerable to eavesdropping.

I really want to apply for this college but my concerns which I have raised to them on behalf of myself and every other prospective student international etc have been ignored. I don't think they are taking peoples security with their private and confidential information seriously.
    Has anyone got any advice e on which should be my next step? I feel that in today's day and age, it should be guaranteed that our information given is secure or we should otherwise be warned on the webpage and given alternate methods to apply but there are not within the city of Glasgow college website.

For anyone that is not in the know how, It takes seconds to eavesdrop all this information from their site as there is no padlock, the page is unencrypted.

Thanks for your advice.
    Contact the college and explain your concerns to them. Nobody here can tell you anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Hi James

City of Glasgow College works extremely hard to ensure the personal details of all our applicants is safe and secure when applying through our online application system. We haven't received any security concerns previously, even when thoroughly audited both internally and externally. Therefore, we have until now been happy with the level of data security in our application system.

As a precaution, our IT team have been investigating this issue to check and ensure that all applicant details are indeed secure and meet our standards. We are delighted to hear that you are keen to apply to the College, however, we also fully appreciate your concerns around eavesdropping and thank you for raising this issue with us.

If you would like to discuss your application or speak to an advisor, please contact us on 0141 566 4134 or 4217 or email [email protected] uk.

Regards
    City Admissions Team

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.