Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Following a visit to the university yesterday afternoon, my primary concern was safety in the area especially at night time. May someone please give me their honest opinion. Although I do really like the campus the estate opposite worries me. Stepney Green tube station also seemed to look like it had better days, and I am sure during my next visit to arrive via Mile End Tube Station. May someone please provide me with some details about the area. Good and bad. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Sheppard)
    Following a visit to the university yesterday afternoon, my primary concern was safety in the area especially at night time. May someone please give me their honest opinion. Although I do really like the campus the estate opposite worries me. Stepney Green tube station also seemed to look like it had better days, and I am sure during my next visit to arrive via Mile End Tube Station. May someone please provide me with some details about the area. Good and bad. Thank you.
    Honestly It's a big stereotype saying that mile end and all of that area is dangerous at night. It's really not bad at all, central london is worse for muggings etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Sheppard)
    The area around the university is safe enough, it's a main road and it's always busy, there are always a lot of other students around too (even late at night). I have never had, or seen any trouble.

Aesthetically the area is not the nicest, i mean it's not exactly Knightbridge, so i guess whether you like the area or not depends on your own personal opinion and what you're used to.

Also most tube stations are similar, Stepney Green and Mile End included so there's not much you can do about that.

ReputationRep:
    As i have been living in the queen mary area for the past 18 years, I know everything there is to know about the area gangs,drugs all problems. I would say alot of bike theft drug dealing especially around the coopers court area. Specifically i would strongly recomend to not hang around on the stepney side where the estates are. As for the area situated around bancroft road (Globe town) it is pretty safe as the area is crime controlled by elders (ex gangsters or respected) just the youngsters that hang around in big groups around queen mary. The area is very safe believe it or not the gangsters around the area would actually help you. The area is poor but alot of drug money and other crime exist thats why you see ferraris,lambos,rolls royce daily.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hool-prom.html

ReputationRep:
    I've been living in Mile End for the past year-ish and honestly it's not as bad as everyone says it is. I've had no problems here, and as long as you stay in the right areas and have common sense you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    LOL. When people think the area is dangerous I can't help but laugh. It's quite safe. I've never felt any danger and others feel the same, generally. You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Most people tend to love Mile End, but I actually hate it. I've had so many dodgy encounters on Mile End Road and even on-campus, and second term was horrible for me after one encounter. It's a nice enough area, but I would still be cautious, especially of people who roam onto campus and claim to be students. It's an open campus, remember. To be fair, all cities are dodgy at night, so it's not that different to other cities.

As childish as it sounds, if you always make sure there's two or more of you when going through Mile End at night, you'll be fine.

Traffic is the biggest issue. Three people, including a student, died last academic year (between September and now, I mean) due to traffic incidences. But if you keep your eyes open and follow precautions you'll be safe. People don't like waiting for the lights because they take forever (and I mean forever), but just wait until it's safe. It's not worth the risk, and there are some psychopathic drivers on that road, trust me. Again, I know it sounds childish, but if you follow basic safety rules then you should be fine. People don't, hence why accidents happen.

Don't be worried about the area, though. The campus is pretty safe, and it's highly unlikely you'll be strolling through Mile End at night on your own anyway. If you've been on a night out then you'll no doubt be with friends.The university is amazing, and I'm having the time of my life, so the area doesn't really matter.

If you have any more Qs about the university or Mile End, feel free to pm me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.