Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PSA: free tea & coffee etiquette update from Waitrose Watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Apparently, people have been hogging the cafe tables with their free tea & coffees, denying paying customers a space to sit down.

The new guidance is as follows:

From 9 February we will be asking myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy their free tea or coffee in one of our Cafés to also purchase a treat - such as a sandwich, cake, biscuit or piece of fruit. This change will enable us to continue to offer our customers the enjoyable service they expect.
    If you're not visiting the café, you can still pick up a free tea or coffee from the self-service machine when you are shopping with us. Remember to present your myWaitrose card.

The comments section from The Guardian amused me are hilarious.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Apparently, people have been hogging the cafe tables with their free tea & coffees, denying paying customers a space to sit down.

The new guidance is as follows:

The comments section from The Guardian amused me are hilarious.
    There's no café in either of the two Waitroses I know, just the self service machines. Either way, their coffee isn't great; you can tell why it's free.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Reluire)
    There's no café in either of the two Waitroses I know, just the self service machines. Either way, their coffee isn't great; you can tell why it's free.
    Never look a gift horse in the mouth. :shock:

It's alright, but I wouldn't pay for it :erm:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Never look a gift horse in the mouth. :shock:

It's alright, but I wouldn't pay for it :erm:
    What happens if you do? :mmm:

Yeah, same. If I was passing by I might pick one up, but I rarely am. It's very bitter if I remember right.

ReputationRep:
    it is drinkable but not as nice as my home-made coffee. also those wooden stirrers are not very effective at stirring.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by the bear)
    it is drinkable but not as nice as my home-made coffee. also those wooden stirrers are not very effective at stirring.
    They're not quite worthy of being called stirrers are they?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    ...you bring your home made coffee & garage Doritos and take up table space in the Waitrose cafe :nothing:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    What happens if you do? :mmm:

Yeah, same. If I was passing by I might pick one up, but I rarely am. It's very bitter if I remember right.
    It's not that dreadful. But if I was going to pay £2 I'd go to a super hip and trendy local coffee joint, y'know?

ReputationRep:
    They're not quite worthy of being called stirrers are they?
    i do like them... they have a certain rustic insouciance, but the fail is strong in their stirring ability.
    they look like things that could be used on Blue Peter to make your own Kon Tiki.

ReputationRep:
    ...you bring your home made coffee & garage Doritos and take up table space in the Waitrose cafe :nothing:
    where i can read my free Metro paper in peace and quiet.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    where i can read my free Metro paper in peace and quiet.
    :shock:

*faints*

ReputationRep:
    i do like them... they have a certain rustic insouciance, but the fail is strong in their stirring ability.
    they look like things that could be used on Blue Peter to make your own Kon Tiki.
    They are also horribly unecological, as are most things to do with the coffee industry. :sad:

Cannot Dyson invent a high pressure remote coffee stirrer or something? I am imagining something that grabs your cup, rotates it at high speed and then plonks it back next to your mouth.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    This sucks. There's nothing that's gluten free.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.