Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Inappropriate Tripadvisor reviews for Auschwitz Watch

ReputationRep:
    I read these and was pretty shocked! :eek4:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/26/auschw...itors-5036350/

'When you visit a place like that you want to be shocked but I saw nothing new'

IMO, Auschwitz isn't a tourist destination, it's a memorial!

What do you guys think? Are these reviews justified?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Condog10)
    IMO, Auschwitz isn't a tourist destination, it's a memorial!
    You hit the nail on the head here.

It shouldn't be, yet it is consistently treated as one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    You hit the nail on the head here.

It shouldn't be, yet it is consistently treated as one.
    I remember when I went there was a American girl and her mum, and she was taking photos of everything on her ipad and uploading it to facebook!
    Literally, whilst we were walking around with a polish tour guide! I was livid!

I think it's so important not to sensationalise it, it's emotive enough that it all actually happened without some of the gimmicks tourist sites rely on... :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    it is better that there is a slightly tacky experience than that the Shoah sites be forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it is better that there is a slightly tacky experience than that the Shoah sites be forgotten.
    Do you actually think they would be forgotten? I'm not sure that is possible, especially not in the near future... :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually think they would be forgotten? I'm not sure that is possible, especially not in the near future... :hmmmm2:
    there are many many people who fervently wish that the Shoah would fade away. it is so important that people can see and touch the remains of the murder camps.

ReputationRep:
    Man, we did a module on my course and one of the big debates was how to remember the Holocaust. Whether it was appropriate to visit Auschwitz, whether it was appropriate to repair the buildings and fences as they decayed, whether it was appropriate for there to be a cafe on a site where over a million were murdered. A few in my seminar group who had been there said that people were laughing and chatting as they went round the site. Really difficult questions to answer.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It is awful when people don't treat these places with respect. I went round the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam behind some Spanish people who (perhaps because of language barrier if I'm giving benefit of the doubt) cackled and laughed their way through the whole thing. It made me feel angry that they weren't sobered by the atrocities that had been conducted against the people who'd lived there.

I do think that it teaches you a lot to visit these places however. It makes something come alive and people need to keep remembering these lessons so it never gets repeated. Even if some people have no respect, I think the benefit to society of maintaining these places and allowing visitors outweighs all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    I do think that it teaches you a lot to visit these places however. It makes something come alive and people need to keep remembering these lessons so it never gets repeated. Even if some people have no respect, I think the benefit to society of maintaining these places and allowing visitors outweighs all that.
    I agree! Like i said above, they should be seen as memorials not tourist sites. Like you would visit a grave. You should go to pay your respects to the victims of the atrocity, but not treat it as entertainment!
    It should be kept as a reminder of humanity at its worst, to keep people from repeating history.

ReputationRep:
    I agree! Like i said above, they should be seen as memorials not tourist sites. Like you would visit a grave. You should go to pay your respects to the victims of the atrocity, but not treat it as entertainment!
    It should be kept as a reminder of humanity at its worst, to keep people from repeating history.
    I agree (particularly given there are holocaust survivors alive today). Oradour Sur Glane is like this, too - it's really eerie.

However, I think the problem is that we are just reaching the turning point where it becomes 'history' rather than 'recent tragedy'. People my age have never been involved in a war in Europe. They can't even remember the Cold War. We don't feel like we are under threat - we (possibly wrongly) feel totally secure under a liberal government, in a world where mentioning someone's skin colour is politically incorrect.

When people go to Pompeii, they (mostly) don't treat it as a site where thousands of people burned alive - similarly with a Roman amphitheatre (where people met horrific deaths for the pleasure of a crowd). They know it happened, and they try to connect with it, but ultimately it's a day out. The people who lived there are not them. Auschwitz is far closer to home, but I think there's a subtle shift towards the same kind of apathy. People go there because they want to be shocked, or because they want to 'connect with the past', but they don't, or possibly can't, really connect on a personal level. This will only get worse as time goes on.

That's why it's so important, of course.

ReputationRep:
    That is inappropriate imo. Definitely should be treated with respect.

ReputationRep:
    I went there in November and there was a stag party going on...never been more shocked and disgusted in my life (especially after googling it and realising that the Auschwitz tour was directly followed by a bar crawl)

ReputationRep:
    The majority treat it with respect and there are of course going to a minority that don't...

ReputationRep:
    Meh my grandma and her mother were holocaust survivors, my grandma found the whole experience of visiting death camps enlightening but completely boring at the same time, feeling it could of been 'updated' a little.

(When I mean holocaust survivors, not in the fact they were in death camps, rather the only two of their family to escape being sent to the death camps and survived the war).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cartonama)
    I went there in November and there was a stag party going on...never been more shocked and disgusted in my life (especially after googling it and realising that the Auschwitz tour was directly followed by a bar crawl)
    What! That is hilarious, who on earth would want to have their stag do at a Auschwitz! I can't believe that...

ReputationRep:
    i just googled it, Auschwitz stag weekends do exist... Mind. Blown. :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech.

ReputationRep:
    that one off big brother had a snow fight there

ReputationRep:
    after reading the reviews I don't see the problem. They are not disrespecting the actual site merely expressing the way it is too crowded or commercialized. As well as being a memorial it is also a historic tour so people can critiscize the way it is run as a historic thing. They are not saying there should be a pub and a restaurant.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.