Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

As you have probably noticed, I'm new to thestudentroom. I've actually used this site a lot in the passed to answer some questions I had regarding various different topics, but I never went ahead and made an account, so I thought now was as good as time as any!

Anyway, enough of my rambling! onto the details:

I'm currently a 16 year old College student who studies full time, I'm in for essentially 22 hours a week and I currently have a lot of spare time on days off. (Wednesday-Thursday past 12 and Friday, Saturday and Sunday completely free)

I have been job hunting for about 2-3 or so months now and in that time, I've applied to around 10 different places, after many declined applications and some without a response, I got a phone call around 5 in the evening yesterday and was invited to come in for an interview for Build-A-Bear Workshop!

I'm really excited, but at the same time, incredibly nervous. This is my first ever job interview and I'm afraid I may screw it up some way or another and lose my opportunity for a real shot at my first job!

Now, I've come to ask for your guys' help! I hope you will be able to assist me with some questions I've been having:

-What sort of questions should I be expecting to be asked at the Interview?

-Should I dress smart, or just in a casual manner?

-How much earlier should I show up then the original time I am required to come in?

-Is there anything I should definitely bring to the Interview with me?

-I was told on the phone to bring an object that best describes me, could anyone possibly suggest something that would make me appear to be a lively, friendly and hard working person?

-Has anyone else had an interview with Build-A-Bear, if so, what was it like and what can I expect?

-Could I expect to see other teenagers aged 16-18 to be working along side me as colleagues? Or will the store location mainly consist of adults aged 21+?

-What would you say the Male-Female ratio is at the store location if known? (I'm a male, and I'm giving to understand that Build-A-Bear mainly consists of female workers from personal observance)

-How much should I expect to be paid per hour? (I am 16 years old)

I did some research yesterday on possible interview questions and what not, and according to my findings, people suggest that I should answer the questions in a more humorous and creative manner? For example the question:

What would you do if you had unlimited money?

Instead of saying 'I would buy a mansion, a car etc' I should say something like 'I would buy everyone in the world a stuffed toy so they can hug it for eternity and never be alone' or something similar to that? Maybe take a slightly more humorous approach with something like 'I would buy everyone an odd pair of socks!'

Apparently Build-A-Bear are looking for fun, creative and lively people to work for them, hence why the questions should be more or so creative and silly as opposed to sensible. Is this true?

Also, I'm also quiet and keep to myself a lot, and I'm given to understand that an active, energetic and confident person is required to work at Build-A-Bear. I'm not too worried about fulfilling those requirements, I know I could be definitely be that sort of person if I really tried, but again I reiterate, it's the nerves.

Anyway, I hope this wasn't too much of an eyesore for you readers, and I hope you could assist me in anyway possible for me to tackle this interview next Tuesday! (3rd February)

I will keep an eye on this thread everyday till next Tuesday, the scheduled date for my interview!

I appreciate all replies!

Thanks so much!

-AdviceForMe

ReputationRep:
    What sort of questions should I be expecting to be asked at the Interview?
    Just like why you want the job and what skills you can bring, and why you're the right person and stuff.

Smart

-How much earlier should I show up then the original time I am required to come in?
    About ten minutes is usually good =)

Just a CV unless they've been in contact to bring anything else

-I was told on the phone to bring an object that best describes me, could anyone possibly suggest something that would make me appear to be a lively, friendly and hard working person?
    This is so hard because none of us really know you, but bring something that has a bit of backstory to it, (Ie a childhood toy or your favourite book)

-Has anyone else had an interview with Build-A-Bear, if so, what was it like and what can I expect?
    I haven't so I can't help with this one =(

-Could I expect to see other teenagers aged 16-18 to be working along side me as colleagues? Or will the store location mainly consist of adults aged 21+?
    I think you can expect people of all ages, Usually the staff in Build-A-Bear look quite young =)

-What would you say the Male-Female ratio is at the store location if known? (I'm a male, and I'm giving to understand that Build-A-Bear mainly consists of female workers from personal observance)
    I'd say about 2 males to every 3 females.

I think it's minimum wage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    What sort of questions should I be expecting to be asked at the Interview?
    Just like why you want the job and what skills you can bring, and why you're the right person and stuff.

Thank you, Jackie! I really do appreciate the help. ^-^

Would be lovely to hear more responses!

Smart

About ten minutes is usually good =)

Just a CV unless they've been in contact to bring anything else

This is so hard because none of us really know you, but bring something that has a bit of backstory to it, (Ie a childhood toy or your favourite book)

I haven't so I can't help with this one =(

I think you can expect people of all ages, Usually the staff in Build-A-Bear look quite young =)

I'd say about 2 males to every 3 females.

I think it's minimum wage
    Thank you for the help, Jackie! I really do appreciate it.

Would be lovely to hear more responses!

ReputationRep:
    Interview is tomorrow, would be lovely to recieve another reply by then! ^-^

ReputationRep:
    AVOID BUILD A BEAR INTERVIEWS LIKE A PLAGUE.

If you want to make a fool out yourself for a sales job where they ask u to sing, dance and perform and make up heart ceremony then fine up to u, but remember this, they have two cut off points in the interview. First there is a heart ceremony where ur put in a group and if they think u are not smiley or lively enough you are disqualified, the second cut off point was a singing challenge, sounds easy not....they give u 5 minutes to come up with a build a bear song, lyrics and rehearse everything including the dancing. what u say u cant sing or dance then ur disqualified, they call out ur name and say sorry bye bye and send u home tired, hungry and upset.

I had a recent interview in build a bear hamelys London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdviceForMe)
    Interview is tomorrow, would be lovely to recieve another reply by then! ^-^

hey how was your interview? I have one next week but I was told it will be an individual one. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanna07)
    hey how was your interview? I have one next week but I was told it will be an individual one. x
    Mine went pretty horrible tbh, haha. Aweh, you got an individual one?! Lucky!

The reason mine went so bad was because I'm shy in large numbers, and I don't have the confidence to speak in front of a group of strangers I don't know. Not too mention I was the only male/only under 18 year old. 😖 XD

Good luck with your interview though! Stay confident, maintain eye contact and speak clearly, that's what employers are looking for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdviceForMe)
    Mine went pretty horrible tbh, haha. Aweh, you got an individual one?! Lucky!

The reason mine went so bad was because I'm shy in large numbers, and I don't have the confidence to speak in front of a group of strangers I don't know. Not too mention I was the only male/only under 18 year old. 😖 XD

Good luck with your interview though! Stay confident, maintain eye contact and speak clearly, that's what employers are looking for!
    Hi did you get the job in the end?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.