Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it'd be likely that she could come with me? Hedgehogs aren't rodents, so she doesn't chew, and she doesn't smell either.
    She's nocturnal, too, which means I don't have to rush back to make sure she's fed/okay, and I normally stay up pretty late at night, too.
    I know a lot of places say no pets, but since this is pretty reasonable, do you think I could negotiate?

ReputationRep:
    In halls: almost definitely not. I know of one person who's been permitted to keep a pet in halls, and that was very much an exceptional case (health problems that were demonstrably lessened by having an animal).

Private landlords: can't hurt to ask! A lot of landlords put 'no pets' as standard - sometimes they mean it point blank, other times it's negotiable or they just don't want larger animals like dogs or cats. I have five mice and my landlord's fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    judging by recent threads it might scare another students horse with disastrous consequences

ReputationRep:
    hahahahhahaah
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    judging by recent threads it might scare another students horse with disastrous consequences
    The hedgehog could ride the horse to lectures. That would be cool.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Amelie-Poulain)
    Do you think it'd be likely that he could come with me? Hedgehogs aren't rodents, so he doesn't chew, and he doesn't smell either.
    He's nocturnal, too, which means I don't have to rush back to make sure he's fed/okay, and I normally stay up pretty late at night, too.
    I know a lot of places say no pets, but since this is pretty reasonable, do you think I could negotiate?
    Like the first reply said, I doubt that halls would allow it If you're in student housing though I imagine it might be okay - although check with the landlord.

I don't know how high - maintenance hedgehogs are, but you need to make sure you have the resources to make sure he's looked after properly (money for food, vet bills, bedding, etc.). Also think about keeping him safe if you have house parties and that kind of thing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    The hedgehog could ride the horse to lectures. That would be cool.
    PRSOM. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Haha what's this about a horse?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, my mum is willing to assist with anything I couldn't afford, but I am very confident in my ability to budget for anything she might need.
    But it's a shame about halls because I definitely want the halls experience for the first year, and it'll really suck to have to leave her at home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amelie-Poulain)
    Haha what's this about a horse?
    I'm sure I've seen 2 or 3 'can I take my horse to uni' threads in the last week... I thought it must be a really common problem
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I don't know what was funnier to read: The horse problems or this one.

Anyway, OP, check with the uni! It can't hurt to try.

ReputationRep:
    There's already enough pricks at university without you contributing more.

Nah, by the time I met mine she was ready to graduate.

(Original post by Origami Bullets)
    :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Where's the horse thread? A hedgehog won't be allowed but how would they find out? Just take it lol. At first I thought you meant to lectures
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Mezza362)
    Where's the horse thread? A hedgehog won't be allowed but how would they find out? Just take it lol. At first I thought you meant to lectures
    Take your pick :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Is it not cruel to keep a hedgehog as a pet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyking)
    Is it not cruel to keep a hedgehog as a pet?
    No crueller than keeping any other pet surely? You can get domesticated hedgehogs and wild hedgehogs, just like many other animals.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the hedgehog I have is a domesticated African Pygmy hedgehog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mezza362)
    I was wondering if I could get away with it, but I think they do room checks?
    I'd have to see what my room looked like first, see if there's any hiding places for the cage, otherwise I'm sure I might be able to devise some sort of free roaming area? Because I'd really miss her if I went without her, and I'd worry she wasn't being looked after properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Take your pick :yy:

hahaha that's insane :') I would never have considered taking my horse to uni, (not that i can particularly talk)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.