How to get at least a B in Sociology? Watch

Ice Dragon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in my 2nd year of A-levels and I got a B at AS level, but I'm worried I won't get a B overall due to getting a D in my mock exams and I need at least a B if I want to get into university.

I'm studying Mass Media and Crime & Deviance.

Does anyone have any good revision tips for me, like certain things I should be prioritising during revision? I used a revision textbook for AS Sociology last year which was extremely helpful and I'm planning to do the same again with an A2 one.

Both of my exams are in June so when would be a good time to start looking at revising for Sociology as well?

Thanks
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you
Ice Dragon
Rep:
?
Will do, thanks
Annie-96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did Sociology at A Level and got an A* after only getting a B in my mock. Like you I also did Crime and Deviance and Mass Media! All those names can be a right burden to learn! I would start revising in April if I were you, maybe before that if you really feel that you're struggling. Having said that, if it's content you're struggling with I really really cant stress enough the importance of going over your notes after class. I had a spare notebook and after every session I would write down all the different names in the front and a few key words to summarise what they said. As well as this, in the back of the notebook I wrote down all the key words and their definitions. By the time it came round to April I just got family and friends to test me on the notes that I'd made in my notebook as well as my folder notes. It also meant I knew I wasn't going to miss out a theory or anything else! There's a really good crime and deviance text book if you're with AQA.

If it's exam technique you're struggling with, try incorporating the phrases 'this means that' or 'because of this' or '------'s theory supports this because...' into your essays to get analysis marks. I know it sounds simple but remember the PEE chain! Make your point in the first sentence of your paragraph, give your evidence (name a sociologist or a study) then explain- say why it's relevant and what it means, try to get depth into your answer. Evaluation can easily be done by looking at the limitations or a theory, e.g. was it overt participant observation- Hawthorne Effect? Or if another theory supports it to add strength to your argument.

Hope this helps!
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly just memorise and regurgitate every single theory and theorist and that's at least a solid B
Harrigt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I just wondered if anyone could send me some notes and essay plans via email for Beliefs, research methods and crime and deviance. This will be greatly appreciated if anyone can.
Ice Dragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by R Dragon)
Honestly just memorise and regurgitate every single theory and theorist and that's at least a solid B
I was planning to revise as many theories and sociologists as possible anyway as I'm quite bad at remembering them Thanks for the advice.
Ice Dragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Annie-96)
I did Sociology at A Level and got an A* after only getting a B in my mock. Like you I also did Crime and Deviance and Mass Media! All those names can be a right burden to learn! I would start revising in April if I were you, maybe before that if you really feel that you're struggling. Having said that, if it's content you're struggling with I really really cant stress enough the importance of going over your notes after class. I had a spare notebook and after every session I would write down all the different names in the front and a few key words to summarise what they said. As well as this, in the back of the notebook I wrote down all the key words and their definitions. By the time it came round to April I just got family and friends to test me on the notes that I'd made in my notebook as well as my folder notes. It also meant I knew I wasn't going to miss out a theory or anything else! There's a really good crime and deviance text book if you're with AQA.

If it's exam technique you're struggling with, try incorporating the phrases 'this means that' or 'because of this' or '------'s theory supports this because...' into your essays to get analysis marks. I know it sounds simple but remember the PEE chain! Make your point in the first sentence of your paragraph, give your evidence (name a sociologist or a study) then explain- say why it's relevant and what it means, try to get depth into your answer. Evaluation can easily be done by looking at the limitations or a theory, e.g. was it overt participant observation- Hawthorne Effect? Or if another theory supports it to add strength to your argument.

Hope this helps!
I'm with AQA as well, do you mind telling me what the textbook is called please? Also, I was planning to start revising in April anyway

Honestly, your advice has been invaluable. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my thread and I have taken all your advice on board Fingers crossed for at least a B!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads