Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anybody out there voting Lib Dems? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just feel they get an unfair amount of hate.

People always go on about Nick Clegg 'betraying' students but don't understand that the Liberal Democrats entered a coalition in which both parties had to renege on manifesto promises.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SBKA)
    I just feel they get an unfair amount of hate.

People always go on about Nick Clegg 'betraying' students but don't understand that the Liberal Democrats entered a coalition in which both parties had to renege on manifesto promises.
    I really think the lib dems have some great ideas, there are a real contender for my vote in the general election.

I like what they are doing with free childcare, bus passes for college students, I like how they also want to stay in the EU!

ReputationRep:
    They are ok. I do agree that Clegg has been demonised excessively.

The choice in my constituency is SNP or Labour though so I won't be voting for them. Perhaps in EU or Scottish government elections though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I really think the lib dems have some great ideas, there are a real contender for my vote in the general election.

I like what they are doing with free childcare, bus passes for college students, I like how they also want to stay in the EU!
    Yeah they offer policies which would make a big difference for quite a few people.

I also like how they at least seem half-committed to protecting our civil liberties compared to other parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    They are ok. I do agree that Clegg has been demonised excessively.

The choice in my constituency is SNP or Labour though so I won't be voting for them. Perhaps in EU or Scottish government elections though.
    Who do you think you will be voting for?

It will be interesting to see how they do in the next EU elections considering the large hit they took at the last one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    Who do you think you will be voting for?

It will be interesting to see how they do in the next EU elections considering the large hit they took at the last one.
    Labour. Not because I particularly like them but because the SNP are worse in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be voting lib dem, even as a student. It's a stronghold so they have the best chance of taking the seat(Which is still 0%)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatAttack)
    I'll be voting lib dem, even as a student. It's a stronghold so they have the best chance of taking the seat(Which is still 0%)
    It will be interesting to see how many seats they manage to retain.

ReputationRep:
    nope

ReputationRep:
    they are pro europe

ReputationRep:
    Not a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    It will be interesting to see how many seats they manage to retain.
    Should be 30+. Tories are second in 33 seats and the swing from Lib to Tory is only around 2% according to Ashcroft meaning that they'll probably hold the vast majority plus a few Lib-Lab/SNP ect.. where the other party is too far away.

I suspect the Libs won't be as low as polling suggests though so 40-45 is probably nearer the mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I suspect the Libs won't be as low as polling suggests though so 40-45 is probably nearer the mark.
    45 is around my prediction. Left leaning people would rather have them than Tories , right leaning people would rather have them than labour. If the lib dems can hold onto Eastleigh they can hold on anywhere.

I am a lib dem and I will be voting for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyGot1Offer)
    they are pro europe
    Is that a good or bad thing in your opinion?

All major political parties in the UK are pro Europe except for UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Should be 30+. Tories are second in 33 seats and the swing from Lib to Tory is only around 2% according to Ashcroft meaning that they'll probably hold the vast majority plus a few Lib-Lab/SNP ect.. where the other party is too far away.

Yeah. Also, Nick Clegg is a good public speaker, so I reckon they will gain a few more votes following the TV debates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    nope
    Any particular reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebony19)
    Not a chance
    Any reasons why?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    I'm of the opinion that anyone who does vote for them proves that they should have their right to vote rescinded.

If they drop below 30 I'll celebrate, if they stay above 40 I'll lament. I think the soundest seat by seat prediction had them at 33 region, so I'll most likely have this face on :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    Any reasons why?
    Always been more left wing than their policies allow.

The members particularly Nick Clegg don't inspire me.

It'd be a wasted vote now anyway even if I suddenly changed my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebony19)
    Always been more left wing than their policies allow.

The members particularly Nick Clegg don't inspire me.

It'd be a wasted vote now anyway even if I suddenly changed my mind.
    I think that a lot of the Liberal Democrat leadership lean more towards classical liberalism rather than the social aspect. The problem is that they have to please an activist base which is more inclined to be socially liberal.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.