Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an mri scan tomorrow and its an urgent referral which has been made today so I didn't really get a chance to ask questions and stuff.

I was reading up about them online, problem is I don't have any bras which are non underwired and Im sorry but I'm not going out without a bra on. Can i just wear an underwire bra and ask for a gown?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DollyMaii.x)
    I have an mri scan tomorrow and its an urgent referral which has been made today so I didn't really get a chance to ask questions and stuff.

I was reading up about them online, problem is I don't have any bras which are non underwired and Im sorry but I'm not going out without a bra on. Can i just wear an underwire bra and ask for a gown?
    You'll be given the opportunity to change into a gown and have somewhere safe to store your belongings before you have your scan. They won't expect you to go through the scanner topless.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Do you have a vest you can wear instead? Which is what I think I did.

ReputationRep:
    Some bikini tops can be metal-free - if you have one, it's worth checking. You could get to the hospital and back perfectly respectably with a thick shirt/fleece/coat over the top.

I went without and just wore very baggy clothes. Once you're bundled up under a winter coat and scarf, nobody's going to know the difference.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone,

I could but I have to go to my last cbt session before the appointment and won't have time to go home between.

ReputationRep:
    When I had an mri, I was told to take everything off apart from my pants and I was given some medical scrub type thingies to wear (There was a private cubicle/room to change in and all my stuff got locked in a locker)
    They were kind of like pyjamas, (scrubs like the nurses and doctors wear) NOT a hospital gown that's open at the back, and I was given a dressing gown as well in case I got cold

Things might vary a little from hospital to hospital but basically:
    1) your modesty will be protected
    2) there will be somewhere private for you to change and/or take off your bra
    3) no, you can't wear your underwire bra. No metal allowed.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Storme)
    When I had an mri, I was told to take everything off apart from my pants and I was given some medical scrub type thingies to wear (There was a private cubicle/room to change in and all my stuff got locked in a locker)
    They were kind of like pyjamas, (scrubs like the nurses and doctors wear) NOT a hospital gown that's open at the back, and I was given a dressing gown as well in case I got cold

Things might vary a little from hospital to hospital but basically:
    1) your modesty will be protected
    2) there will be somewhere private for you to change and/or take off your bra
    3) no, you can't wear your underwire bra. No metal allowed.
    Interesting. I wore my own clothes and only had to take metal stuff off. (so, no underwire bra, jeans, glasses, etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Interesting. I wore my own clothes and only had to take metal stuff off. (so, no underwire bra, jeans, glasses, etc)
    Yeah, I think it varies.
    But basically, OP won't be naked!

I think some hospitals prefer to give you scrubs to wear because a lot of clothing has metal zips/buttons/studs so it's easier than having to check everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)

(Original post by Storme)
    Yeah, I think it varies.
    But basically, OP won't be naked!

I think some hospitals prefer to give you scrubs to wear because a lot of clothing has metal zips/buttons/studs so it's easier than having to check everyone
    It will vary from place to place, however if people are expected to change out of their clothes they will be given somewhere private to get changed. Privacy and dignity is a massive thing in healthcare.

Did you get on OK today?

ReputationRep:
    I was told to keep my knickers on when I had a MRI but was given a gown to change into privately and I kept that on.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!

yeah they gave me a gown to change into but I was allowed to keep my leggings and my socks on. I have to wait 7-10 days for results though and thats for an urgent report!

ReputationRep:

You have to remove everything with metal.

When I had an MRI a couple of months ago, they told me to remove anything with metal including underwired bras.

I was given the opportunity to remove my bra in a changing room and was allowed to remain in my leggings and jumper. But they also provide gowns if you're wearing jeans or something with metal (zip is metal).

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the hospital tbh. Most places will give you a gown but some places will just tell you to take your bra off and put your top back on (so you're not topless). But definitely you will not be able to wear it during the MRI unless you want a potentially nasty injury

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have to have an MRI every year and have never been told to take my underwired bra or jeans off. I had to take my piercings out but that was it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.