Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi all,

I would like to ask if anyone knows if you can do A Level Economics without doing it at GCSE. And how hard is it?

I did Business studies at GCSE which is similar but most of it is not applicable to AS Economics. The first unit (Microeconomics) introduces you to the basics of economics and is not too difficult to understand. Macroeconomics is what I am doing now, and it is a lot more difficult than Microeconomics as you have to apply all of the first unit.

If you really want to, read some economics books to introduce you. Like any A-Level, as long as you do work inside and out of lesson and keep on top, it is manageable.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Schu98)
    Hi all,

I would like to ask if anyone knows if you can do A Level Economics without doing it at GCSE. And how hard is it?
    Yes you can. I did it at AS and found it challenging, but interesting. However, my interest lies more with science, so I ended up dropping economics for A2.

I would recommend it, especially if you are quite good at writing essays and seeing things from different view points. As for difficulty, it really depends on the person.

Have a look at the course at the college or Sixth Form and ask for a bit more information.

(Original post by Schu98)
    Hi all,

I don't take GCSE but I took this exam (which is equivalent to the GCSE) in my country, Malaysia.

Basically, what I can say is that, I used to take the three Sciences and some other subjects- no economics.

What I can say is that... (Now doing my AS) I find it quite hard to understand the concept of Economics because I'm used to understand the facts as in like this process is like this and like this in a human. Or the process of how this molecules work etc or how the buoyancy works etc etc etc. The facts are so clear if you understand them.

But in Economics, you get charts, theory- basically, it's more like a philosophy subject to me <-- :lol: I mean, sometimes, even if I understand the chapter, I have problems with what to write in my essay.

But, on the other hand, my friend who took the Sciences like me, find it quite easy to grasp the contents and all that. The teacher always told her this: 'You have your natural flair in writing'

So, it depends really, if you have that 'flair' in writing, you'll do just fine.

Also, if you love keeping up with the current news, the politics of the world.. then, this is the subject for you

You know yourself best
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.