Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Even though I haven't had any offers yet, I am in love with the thought of going to medical school.

So I wanted to know what the best/your favourite thing about being a medical student is!

It's a while now since I was an undergrad student, but one of the things I enjoyed the most about the first year of uni, were all the bizarre clubs and societies out there, you could always find something you were interested in, along with some like-minded people. I know that's not really a medic thing, but a general student thing, but medics are students too. Birmingham used to have a Cake Appreciation Society, not sure if it's still running.

Otherwise, thinking more medicine-specific, we used to have a day per fortnight in general practice, and I loved this because it broke up the monotony of lectures. It was sort of a reminder of what clinical years would be like. I was not a fan of preclinical lectures. In clinical years, I enjoyed the satisfaction of managing procedures - getting blood for the first time, finally managing a cannula. And getting to purchase my first stethoscope :-)

I love the clinical side things to medicine, it's so fascinating and interesting and when you're applying it to placement it's pretty awesome

Outside medicine, I love my independence and doing whatever I want
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.