The Student Room Group

How can I achieve A* or close in all my subjects?

Hey everyone.

I'm a student in Year 10 currently studying GCSE (Geography, English (Lit. and Lang.), Maths, Computing, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry, RE, and Physics)

Next week I'm going with my school on a trip to Oxford University to see what it's like and I'm wanting to get A*'s in all my subjects as I have high aspirations.

I know some don't consider A*s important, and not to stress, but I need some ideas and techniques on how I can grow my knowledge and possible revision tips.

Also, what are your guys stories on how you got high grades and stuff?

Hi Joshua,

Being a student in Year 11 I would say that NEVER leave things till last minute. First find out whether you are a kinaesthetic, visual or auditory learner and that will help you revision wise. I would also say try out different methods and see which one helps you remember the most. Past papers are also great to help you get a feel for the exams you will be sitting. When learning a new language take maybe 20 minutes a day learning vocab. I hate English but analysing is really important so just try to get extra help with anything you feel you are not very good at.

Well.. I hope that helps in some way :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheWallFlowerxo
Hi Joshua,

Being a student in Year 11 I would say that NEVER leave things till last minute. First find out whether you are a kinaesthetic, visual or auditory learner and that will help you revision wise. I would also say try out different methods and see which one helps you remember the most. Past papers are also great to help you get a feel for the exams you will be sitting. When learning a new language take maybe 20 minutes a day learning vocab. I hate English but analysing is really important so just try to get extra help with anything you feel you are not very good at.

Well.. I hope that helps in some way :smile:

Thank you!! I struggled with my first analysis on Of Mice and Men and got an A but recently we had a comparative analysis essay which I got an A* in, which I actually put a lot of effort in for at home.

In terms of languages, I actually have this thing called Duolingo and I spend around 30 minutes per day using it because I'm awful at languages.
I think effort is one thing that will really help with your grades. The effort I put in at home show through in my work compared to some people in my class who don't care all that much.

Also, if you don't read, you should that will vocabulary wise for creative writing in English.
1) Look at the mark scheme.
2) Don't panic about how much revision you are doing. Doing too much, and stressing yourself out, can be just as detrimental as not doing enough.
3) Look at the mark scheme.
4) Do past papers in the weeks leading up to exams.
5) Did I mention look at the mark schemes? Seriously, that is so important. Examiners will be marking so many papers, know what they're looking for makes it easier for them to give you the marks.

I go to Oxford, so feel free to ask me about anything related if you're thinking of applying
Reply 5
Original post by TheWallFlowerxo
I think effort is one thing that will really help with your grades. The effort I put in at home show through in my work compared to some people in my class who don't care all that much.

Also, if you don't read, you should that will vocabulary wise for creative writing in English.

Yeah, I read, around 2 hours every night so I think I'm ok, but I'm still super bad at creative writing xD

Original post by xMr_BrightSide
1) Look at the mark scheme.
2) Don't panic about how much revision you are doing. Doing too much, and stressing yourself out, can be just as detrimental as not doing enough.
3) Look at the mark scheme.
4) Do past papers in the weeks leading up to exams.
5) Did I mention look at the mark schemes? Seriously, that is so important. Examiners will be marking so many papers, know what they're looking for makes it easier for them to give you the marks.

I go to Oxford, so feel free to ask me about anything related if you're thinking of applying

I never usually revise using past papers but my friends do and I've seen people on here saying it's a good way so I think I ought to try it. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your GCSE and A-Levels, just as rough guidance as to what I need to achieve as I'm looking to attend one of the top universities. Also, just out of interest, what course are you taking? I'm still not 100% on what I want to be when I'm older:frown:
Original post by Joshua-P

I never usually revise using past papers but my friends do and I've seen people on here saying it's a good way so I think I ought to try it. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your GCSE and A-Levels, just as rough guidance as to what I need to achieve as I'm looking to attend one of the top universities. Also, just out of interest, what course are you taking? I'm still not 100% on what I want to be when I'm older:frown:

GCSE's I got 10 A* and 2 A, but I know people in my year with less than that. A mix of A*s and As is usually fine.

A Levels, A*A*A*, but I applied with AABB at AS because I didn't work very hard in Year 12. My course isn't hugely competitive, Philosophy and Theology, but still a fair few candidates per place. If you're thinking of applying for a really popular course like PPE, obviously it's much harder to get a place and the competition will be better.
Reply 7
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
GCSE's I got 10 A* and 2 A, but I know people in my year with less than that. A mix of A*s and As is usually fine.

A Levels, A*A*A*, but I applied with AABB at AS because I didn't work very hard in Year 12. My course isn't hugely competitive, Philosophy and Theology, but still a fair few candidates per place. If you're thinking of applying for a really popular course like PPE, obviously it's much harder to get a place and the competition will be better.

Thank you for the advice!:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending