Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At what point should you ask about relationship status? watch

I've been seeing a new guy for a few weeks - we are sleeping together, but also dating (we've been for a meal, for coffee, out in town etc.) I'm not after a serious relationship, but I'm also sort of curious as to what our status is? Dating, f**k buddies, potential boyfriend and girlfriend? I don't want to scare him off too soon by asking, but when is the best time to clarify? A month? Six weeks? Several months on?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Sounds very hard to tell what is going on.

He could be just waiting for the time to ask for it to be something more, or he might not be prepared to take it further.

I think you should ask him something like 'how far do you want to take this' sometime soon - maybe 1-2 months in? A few weeks does seem too soon, but if you're not after a serious relationship then you wouldn't want him to get the wrong idea.

ReputationRep:
    I had always thought if two people are dating and they decide to have sex, then that meant they were boyfriend and girlfriend. Lol. I'm so ignorant about this kind of thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Afghan Warrior)
    I had always thought if two people are dating and they decide to have sex, then that meant they were boyfriend and girlfriend. Lol. I'm so ignorant about this kind of thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, for me a boyfriend/girlfriend implies a more serious relationship and usually exclusivity. I'm not seeing anyone else and I don't think he is - he spent some of his Birthday with me and we keep spending weekends together. But it's still difficult to know where he stands - all I know is he doesn't seem like a player and appears to be a genuinely nice guy, but that's all I know really.

ReputationRep:
    If there ain't a ring on that finger, you're doomed to being treated as a sex doll.

ReputationRep:
    "So... am I the only girl you're seeing?"

(In bed, naturally.)

Lol, I'd just ask him if he considers me his girlfriend or something.

(Original post by Afghan Warrior)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I used to think that too.

ReputationRep:
    Before any possible girlfriend catches you in the act and has an axe in her hand.

ReputationRep:
    Anytime you want!!!! You have the right to ask whatever you want once you let him in your pants imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.