Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    My son left his course at Birmingham at the end of his second year, with severe depression. The University advised him to leave at this point, but did not let us know that he wasn't attending since the autumn term, and didn't make efforts to find out what was going on.

    In fact he was (and still is) quite ill with depression and anxiety, and is regularly receiving letters (delivered to us, his parents) from student finance, but hasn't told us what is going on. I am worried about how these letters are likely to affect him - he has not found work since leaving, is still struggling with his mental health (seeing psychology service) and lacks confidence.

    What is the situation with this - he's now 21, and I assume Student Finance will not discuss his finances with us as he's of age? Is any waive possible for those having to withdraw through illness? His academic history pre-university was excellent (five top grade Alevels) but he's not told us anything of what the issues were, which we have to respect.

    Any advice, practical or more, would be very much appreciated.


    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

    Your son can give us a quick call and ask to set up 'consent to share' on his account, which means he can give someone else a 'read-only' access to his account, leaving you free to call and discuss his account on his behalf. If he's not up to calling us to do so he can write a letter to us asking for it to be setup.

    For students who suspend/withdraw their course it can result in an over-payment as we issue payments in advance to cover a number of months.

    We have a team setup who can consider extending support throughout a withdrawal, meaning students have the potential to have their funding continued throughout the year they had been withdrawn which would also eliminate any over-payment.

    This extension request has to be sent in writing to our team, along with evidence of any obligations such as utility bills and at least 3 months worth of bank statements from the student.

    Their address is:

    Discretionary Payments Team
    Student Finance England
    Memphis Building
    Lingfield Point
    PO Box 120
    DL1 1AS

What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.