Gap Year - Law Watch

Finny
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
If I took a gapyear before going to university and I wanted to study Law, what sorts of things could I do in that year law-related that would look good on my personal statement (and that I'd enjoy!) ?
Are there any intern typle placements avaliable to pre-university students?
(I'd probably do it France not the UK)
dragon_1706
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think it really matters what you do, as long as it's something constructive. Any form of travelling or work experience will look good on an application, so I'd focus on finding something you'll enjoy doing.
manny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i am doing a Law gap year, i manages to secure a place at Irwin mitchell law firm in london. But from my experience it is so difficult to fing legal placements, so i would just find something to do in your gap year, thats what i did for a while, still looks good on application as you are gaining some sort of experience, if you want some more advice just PM or give me your MSN or i can give you mine! good luck
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm on a gap year and applying for law, and I'm spending it in china and japan lol. I don't think it matters much what you do as long as its something good and constructive.
Finny
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by manny)
if you want some more advice just PM or give me your MSN or i can give you mine! good luck
I might take you up on that if I decide to reapply in 2008 and take a gap year.
Thank you
ravenous_soup_dragon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What you get up to in your gap year is entirely up to you! However, you'd have to decide whether to apply for deferred entry in 2008 or just reapply in the next UCAS year...I say this because if you're applying for deferred entry you'd have to have a strong personal statement and possibly work experience on your form for this year, so that you've got the best chance at ending up where you want to be after your gap year...or you could do what I did, which is to reapply for Law. I applied for English last year, so I had to do the getting of the good work experience etc this year....it's incredibly hard to get a decent gap year job in Law: I had to work for my local council in the 'Policy Department' for 2 months and it was absolute hell but I managed to get a job as the PA to the director of a big legal firm in the City through using a few contacts.....obviously, you could get all of this out of the way this year and spend your gap year enjoying yourself travelling or whatever, or you could get a job like my rubbish one in the council for a couple of months and then chuck it in after UCAS goes...entirely up to you! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise