The Student Room Group

Nervous about how to help her.

I have volunteered to be part of a 'buddy system' at my university where you support other students and help vulnerable new students. The vulnerable fellow student that I will be supporting is this girl who is really lovely but has been through some difficult times. Not only did her father die before she was born but her brother recently passed away as well. I asked her what sort of things she likes and she said 'reading, talking, hugs, snuggles and cuddles!'. So she is a lovely person, but I feel a bit out of my depth, how can I support her and make her feel at home at university?
Meet up with her to chat about general uni stuff, check whether she has settled in. Regarding her difficult situation, sometimes all people need is somebody that listens. You can be that somebody I guess :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SomeStudent
Meet up with her to chat about general uni stuff, check whether she has settled in. Regarding her difficult situation, sometimes all people need is somebody that listens. You can be that somebody I guess :smile:

Ok. I will do my best, I can be quite a clumsy individual, however I am determined to do my best to help her.
Reply 3
Original post by SomeStudent

Thank you for replying by the way.
Reply 4
Anyone else?
Original post by Stein1
Ok. I will do my best, I can be quite a clumsy individual, however I am determined to do my best to help her.

I'm sure you'll do fine. Perhaps initially try and let her decide where you guys meet up (give her few suggestions to choose from), so she can feel comfortable. It'll probably be a bit awkward for the first few minutes maybe, but you'll be fine! Do you get any guidelines etc of how to do this sorta thing? Maybe you have access to former mentors, that you can ask for advice?
Talk about general stuff at first - her course, modules, books she likes, music, etc. She needs someone to talk to and needs to know she can tell you her concerns.

Our buddies get some training first so do ask your uni for help if you still feel out of your depth. Being a buddy is really rewarding and well done to you for volunteering. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending