Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

50% of female inmates should not be in prison – UK justice minister watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31027549

Waiting for the feminist outcry about this. We might be waiting a long time.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really equal to have two different standards. Men currently get longer sentences than women for the same crimes.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how far you take the level of "should", but I'd agree. And before someone calls me out on this, I'd say probably the same for the numbers of male prisoners as well.

ReputationRep:
    Feminists seem to want more rights but also less responsibilities. It's beyond a joke now and an even bigger joke that the people in power listen and pander to them.

there are an alarmingly large number of politicians in this country who are completely out of touch with reality and care more about winning votes than doing what is right for the country.

ReputationRep:
    you know in the thick of it where they try and come up with small time BS policies, opportunities and media appearances over some issue that no one really thinks of just as a way of getting support / notoriety / votes? This sounds like one of those.
    except they didn't think it through at all.
    Because now they've come across as muppets to the majority that see people the same regardless of gender and think they should be treated as such.

ReputationRep:
    Unbelievable. Yes, a lot of people in prison are there for minor crimes involving petty theft and drugs, and a lot of them have families to take care of and difficult pasts. Yes, women are less violent than men and are more likely to have suffered abuse. But I see no reason to give women special treatment simply because they are women. Give people who pose little or no threat to the rest of us, with treatable psychiatric problems, and dependents, special treatment. Whether or not the latter are women is totally irrelevant. What about the vastly greater incidence of homicide, suicide, substance abuse, homelessness, assault, and of course the lower standard of education, lower life expectancy and lesser rates of seeking help for mental health problems.

I know that sexual violence and relationship abuse are bad things which predominantly happen to women, but in this day and age to claim that gender inequality is a one way street is just stupid and its time some Feminists were called out on their disgusting ignorance. Rape is just one form of extreme violence, and men suffer extreme violence a LOT more than women do.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth can someone in such a high position get away with such a discriminatory statement with no outcry?

Funny how sexist statements are acceptable when they're made against the male gender.

ReputationRep:
    If this becomes reality I will be stunned.

ReputationRep:
    simon hughes would say something as stupid as this

ReputationRep:
    No mention of the non-violent people in for drug offences which is the real tragedy of the legal system in this country.

ReputationRep:
    Why are the feminists silent on this one?

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree with using alternatives to prison like they talk about in the article... but then as the article says why on earth should that be done specifically for women?

ReputationRep:
    They should increase women's sentences - equality right?

ReputationRep:
    Well I certainly would be interested to see feminists' view on these comments, I certainly don't always side with the anti-feminist brigade on here, but for once I might just agree with them, I would hope that feminists would disagree with him, because giving special treatment to women in the justice system isn't equality at all, it almost implies that he subscribes to the old fashioned view that women are the weaker sex. And I'm sure that many men are in jail for health reasons, rather than criminality as well.

ReputationRep:
    Sentencing is screwed up in this country for all anyway. We have people in prison for making twitter comments while we have people who commit assault on a Friday night given community service.

(Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    No mention of the non-violent people in for drug offences which is the real tragedy of the legal system in this country.
    I'm against drugs but I agree with this. I'd give fixed penalty notices like the transport police do. People will soon stop if they pay 100 every time they get caught.

ReputationRep:
    As if the legal system wasn't already soft enough on women

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.