The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminism has done more harm than good

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ekemini
I am girl and i have not really researched on this whole concept of feminism but the ones i encounter on the internet make me want to really puke. Some of their views are pretty extreme. With what i see, i really feel so sorry for men. We are the ones oppressing them.

What the hell have they done to receive some of the treatment they get from feminists. If they decide to have meninists(which they already have) some females are going to be really pissed off. I think what people like Emma Watson describe feminism as, is equal pay, maternity leaves, not firing women because they get pregnant,e.t.c which makes sense. But saying the cat calling is barbaric and so male and 'oh i can open this door by myself thank you very much' is pathetic.What do you guys think

I know some people are going to come on here and say I am not educated, don't know what feminism is all about blah blah. But lets face it. Feminism today is not what is was in the 1900's. Back then I would have supported it and while some feminism today raises valid points, it is far being outnumbered by radical feminism

What Emma Watson is describing and that you agree with is feminism. It's equality.
The internet is full of weird, shouty people vocalising their over-the-top opinion without facing any real repercussions. Whilst I'm tempted to point out that there are men out there with equally ridiculous and offensive views of women, that's not the point. Ignore or debate people who you think are going too far but please please don't turn away from the movement that got women the vote, the equal pay act (as widely avoided as it is), abortion rights, etc. There's still a lot to be done in the UK and globally for women's rights. For this we need feminism. The fracturing of this movement makes me want to cry sometimes i swear.
Reply 61
Original post by Ozark
Gotta say one thing.

Search the #yesallwomen hashtag on twitter. It trended a while back and brought out the feminists that ruin the feminist movement.
It also brought out the trolls and there were some gold posts :s-smilie:

Essentially, Feminism has been undermined by a minority of the movement's members who say the most ridiculous things.

Yeah I saw that one. Didn't pay any attention to it though.
I am a man and would consider myself a feminist, and quite frankly, I cannot see why anyone would see gender equality as a bad thing.

Anyone that thinks women are equal to men, really needs to open their eyes. Yes, there has been a lot of progress, but there's a long way still to go. And that's just within our Western culture!

Two very quick examples...

1. According to this list only 4.6% of CEO positions of S&P 500 companies are held by women.

2. Only this week was the first female Church of England bishop been consecrated.

Someone mentioned her previously in this thread. I think Emma Watson makes a great point here:

“The more I spoke about feminism, the more I realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man hating. If there is one thing I know for certain is that this has to stop.”
Reply 63
Original post by Lwin
What Emma Watson is describing and that you agree with is feminism. It's equality.
The internet is full of weird, shouty people vocalising their over-the-top opinion without facing any real repercussions. Whilst I'm tempted to point out that there are men out there with equally ridiculous and offensive views of women, that's not the point. Ignore or debate people who you think are going too far but please please don't turn away from the movement that got women the vote, the equal pay act (as widely avoided as it is), abortion rights, etc. There's still a lot to be done in the UK and globally for women's rights. For this we need feminism. The fracturing of this movement makes me want to cry sometimes i swear.

Don't cry. Be happy. But the movement has been seriously fractured though.
Reply 64
Original post by FrazerLloyd
I am a man and would consider myself a feminist, and quite frankly, I cannot see why anyone would see gender equality as a bad thing.

Anyone that thinks women are equal to men, really needs to open their eyes. Yes, there has been a lot of progress, but there's a long way still to go. And that's just within our Western culture!

1. According to this list only 4.6% of CEO positions of S&P 500 companies are held by women.

2. Only this week was the first female Church of England bishop been consecrated.

Someone mentioned her previously in this thread. I think Emma Watson makes a great point here:

Exactly what Emma said is my point. The man hating has got to stop
Reply 65
Original post by Ekemini
Don't cry. Be happy. But the movement has been seriously fractured though.

That's true. But it is just a heavily vocal minority undermining the rest. It is misandrists, not feminists, giving feminists a bad name by misrepresenting which group they are speaking for.
Reply 66
Original post by Ekemini
If you are a girl the fact that you are able to vote is good but is not the point of my statement. The ones that gave us the right to vote are valid feminists. The feminists of today are pathetic. Apart from Emma Watson
I saw a statement someone made about how two boys were walking and there was a girl behind them. They walked through a door and did not bother leaving it open for the girl. They said chivalry is dead. Feminism is partly to blame for that. Men don't like the stress anymore.
You open the door for them, they say you are being sexist and they can do it on their own.
THAT is the feminism I have a problem with

Not holding a door for someone isn't anything to do with feminism, it's to do with being lazy and rude. Most people would hold a door for anyone, male or female, because it's polite and helpful.

I've never witnessed a woman being offended by having a door held for them. As long as you don't pat them on the bottom as they go through, it'll be appreciated.
Reply 67
Original post by TurboCretin

Emma Watson is exactly the sort of figure modern feminism needs.

Exactly, a feminist men actually want to sleep with. :biggrin:
great thread Ekemini :smile:
Original post by Ekemini
Exactly what Emma said is my point. The man hating has got to stop

Feminism has never not been man hating. See this documentary to see the damage that feminism has caused even during the nostalgically referenced early days:

[video="youtube;w_JnN0ThWIY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_JnN0ThWIY[/video]
Original post by Ekemini
I am girl and i have not really researched on this whole concept of feminism but

Stopped reading there.

You really have no idea what feminism is and what it truly stands for. Learn to research it before you start spewing your mouth.
Original post by Ekemini
I am girl and i have not really researched on this whole concept of feminism but the ones i encounter on the internet make me want to really puke. Some of their views are pretty extreme. With what i see, i really feel so sorry for men. We are the ones oppressing them.

What the hell have they done to receive some of the treatment they get from feminists. If they decide to have meninists(which they already have) some females are going to be really pissed off. I think what people like Emma Watson describe feminism as, is equal pay, maternity leaves, not firing women because they get pregnant,e.t.c which makes sense. But saying the cat calling is barbaric and so male and 'oh i can open this door by myself thank you very much' is pathetic.What do you guys think

I know some people are going to come on here and say I am not educated, don't know what feminism is all about blah blah. But lets face it. Feminism today is not what is was in the 1900's. Back then I would have supported it and while some feminism today raises valid points, it is far being outnumbered by radical feminism

So you're ok with women being treated different? Ok.

Btw, the whole Meninist thing is a bunch of fat world of warcraft players who can't get laid. It's not a real thing.
Reply 72
Original post by Ekemini

Yea I think the majority of feminism went down the toilet during the 80s.

since then its only done more and more harm and got more and more out of control.
The fundamental sexist ideology of only defending a woman's right does not make sense when you are no longer trying to amend sexist laws. By only dealing with a woman's side of a problem that men also face it feminizes the subject and creates a stigma that makes men embarrassed for experiencing something which the media and society tell them that only girls face.
Reply 74
Original post by Slim and proud
great thread Ekemini :smile:

I hope you are not being sarcastic
Reply 75
Original post by Ice Dragon
Stopped reading there.

You really have no idea what feminism is and what it truly stands for. Learn to research it before you start spewing your mouth.

I don't think I will really have any solid idea about it. I researched it and there were many definitions. There are many things on the internet about feminism. The one you can ask me to research is the definition. Apart from that, its different everywhere
Reply 76
Original post by Izzyeviel
So you're ok with women being treated different? Ok.

Btw, the whole Meninist thing is a bunch of fat world of warcraft players who can't get laid. It's not a real thing.

I know meninism is not a real thing. I never said I am okay with women being treated different. But women should treat men the way they want to be treated
Reply 77

The reason why men and women are "not equal" is because women are massively advantaged in almost every aspect of society. Its easy to cherry pick things like the number of CEOs, but you are ignoring deeper issues like:

a) almost all suicides are committed by men (suicide is the leading cause of death for males between the age of 18-35)

b) almost all the prison population are men

c) almost all homeless people are men

d) men make up the vast majority of people working full time minimum wage jobs

e) men are substantially less likely to go to university than women

f) women earn more than men when they are committed to working full-time (women outran men during their 20s, they start to earn less once they voluntarily cut their hours after children. See http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2014/02/24/childless-women-in-their-twenties-out-earn-men-so/ [UK figures are identical])

g) women get the option of dropping out of the work force to raise children, men pretty much have to work full time forever no matter how crappy their job is (see point d) above)

h) the entire tax system is essentially a massive transfer of wealth from men to women, I think the most recent figures are that 72% of all benefit payments get spent on women

And thats before you even get into even more serious issues like the gross unfairness of family law courts and divorce, where women typically get primary custody of children, and the right to stay in the family home indefinitely (it usually works out as the woman getting around 80% of total assets, regardless of who is at fault for the relationship dissolving)

Its absolutely ridiculous to suggest that women are disadvantaged in any way -- it is men who are severely discriminated against in pretty much all aspects of modern life. Modern feminism is basically just whiny upper middle class women complaining that they can't drop out of work for 5 years after having children and still make it to CEO. They do this while ignoring the fact that men make up pretty much all the bottom layer of society (prisoners, homeless people, suicides, etc) and also do pretty much all the horrible jobs in society (minimum wage work, garbage collection, physical labour, etc are all basically 100% male). I don't hear many feminists complaining about their underrepresentatoin in the garbage collection industry

And of course, the reason why women don't do these sort of bad jobs (garbage collection, etc) is because they don't have to - the minute they have a child they can just drop out of work entirely and be supported by men for the rest of their lives, either by their partners, or through the benefit system. Why work a crappy job when you can just be a single mum claiming housing benefit and child tax credit all your life, which is worth far more than the minimum wage? Men do not have this option, despite being the ones who are actually paying for it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Feminism in the past was a valid movement in my opinion. But now, we are all equal in the eyes of the law. It is now a rather sexist movement that is now ripe for exploitation. The western society now has no need for feminism. However, one can apply the idea in societies where women are not equal. Like the middle east.

Feminism would actually have a credible purpose there.

The median age for an S&P 500 CEO is 53-63. Women entering the workforce 30 or 40 years ago did not have equal opportunities.

Women who began their careers after 1990 have equal pay - there is no pay gap - and thus, we might infer, equal opportunities. Therefore the potential for future female CEOs is built into the system. Just wait 20 years and they will come through. Having quotas is only going to harm the current generation of men when it's found that women were favoured too much in the 2010s, despite already being ahead, because they didn't get the top jobs RIGHT AWAY.