The Student Room Group

Why would a lecturer lie to us?

So I got my results for this presentation I got with a friend of mine.

It fell just bellow the time limit, so that was fine, and I felt really confident, so I wasn't stuttering at all. My mate was the same.

We both put at least 2 weeks into it and felt that it was good research, information, etc ...

At the end of the presentation I was waiting to talk to the lecturer and this random girl who I'd never spoken to comes up and says "That was really good".

I got to talk to the lecturer, and she said "Yeah, you guys did a really good job, well done".

We got a ****e grade though ... why lie to us?
Reply 1
Original post by Dodgypirate
So I got my results for this presentation I got with a friend of mine.

It fell just bellow the time limit, so that was fine, and I felt really confident, so I wasn't stuttering at all. My mate was the same.

We both put at least 2 weeks into it and felt that it was good research, information, etc ...

At the end of the presentation I was waiting to talk to the lecturer and this random girl who I'd never spoken to comes up and says "That was really good".

I got to talk to the lecturer, and she said "Yeah, you guys did a really good job, well done".

We got a ****e grade though ... why lie to us?

Define how bad your grade was? Did you actually fail (less than 40%) If it was like 60%, by uni standards thats really good
Reply 2
Original post by Storme
Define how bad your grade was? Did you actually fail (less than 40%) If it was like 60%, by uni standards thats really good

It was 44% :/

I was seriously disappointed by it, but also appalled.
Reply 3
It was 44% :/

I was seriously disappointed by it, but also appalled.

Fair enough to be a bit dissapointed then, especially when you thought it had gone well.
I guess the lecturer didn't want to start an argument or be mean to your faces?
Reply 4
Original post by Storme
Fair enough to be a bit dissapointed then, especially when you thought it had gone well.
I guess the lecturer didn't want to start an argument or be mean to your faces?

Really poor management then from her ... some people who clearly didn't do as well (without sounding like an ass) got 70%+.

This isn't the first time the University have ****ed me over. Last week I got my grade back for a hand-in coursework. I got 50%, which again I was disappointed with. The details told me I had handed it in a day late, but I'm 1000% certain I didn't; I handed it on time.

I emailed them about it but they say there's nothing they can do ...
Really poor management then from her ... some people who clearly didn't do as well (without sounding like an ass) got 70%+.

This isn't the first time the University have ****ed me over. Last week I got my grade back for a hand-in coursework. I got 50%, which again I was disappointed with. The details told me I had handed it in a day late, but I'm 1000% certain I didn't; I handed it on time.

I emailed them about it but they say there's nothing they can do ...

A lot of Uni Lecturers are way more unprofessional than they were say a decade or so ago. A terrible shame really as if it will eventually undermine, students will increasingly avoid uni. Seen and heard this type of carry on happening a lot, basically lecturers have there favourites and marks are proportioned as to how well they like the students as far as possible rather than how good the student is.

As Lecturers are currently a law unto themselves as their judgement cannot be questioned :confused: they act as judge, jury and executioner. While I wouldn't suggest that students should be able to question everything as it would just swamp the system with petty complaints I think the present system is far from ideal and very unfair on students. Impartiality in my books costs nothing.

Possibly look at the marking scheme to see you covered the points required, though this is often vague and open to the lecturers manipulation. Seems to be the case though and possibly it is here that these low marks are being directed and co-ordinated to be so. Don't know why I get that impression where I see stuff like this happen I just do, university just seems weird sometimes.
Reply 6
Original post by Stewie2011
A lot of Uni Lecturers are way more unprofessional than they were say a decade or so ago. A terrible shame really as if it will eventually undermine, students will increasingly avoid uni. Seen and heard this type of carry on happening a lot, basically lecturers have there favourites and marks are proportioned as to how well they like the students as far as possible rather than how good the student is.

As Lecturers are currently a law unto themselves as their judgement cannot be questioned :confused: they act as judge, jury and executioner. While I wouldn't suggest that students should be able to question everything as it would just swamp the system with petty complaints I think the present system is far from ideal and very unfair on students. Impartiality in my books costs nothing.

Possibly look at the marking scheme to see you covered the points required, though this is often vague and open to the lecturers manipulation. Seems to be the case though and possibly it is here that these low marks are being directed and co-ordinated to be so. Don't know why I get that impression where I see stuff like this happen I just do, university just seems weird sometimes.

I really don't want to make a massive scene about these 2 grades, but I put a lot of effort and hard work into both the 1500 word course work and 15 minute presentation. I spoke to my mother about this and she was as upset as I am.

The University I go to is the University of the West of England (UWE), and from all my research, it's a good university. Obviously things might be different in terms of how lecturers/tutors work, but they should all have similar work standards.

My mother asked me to send them an email to appeal the grade given for the coursework, however I haven't heard from them in 5 days - quite questionable.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, I guess I'll have to live with it and absolutely smash the next coursework ...
if you're unsure why you got the mark you did I'd suggest emailing the lecturer for further feedback and clarification, there's likely to be a genuine reason you got less than people you feel didn't perform as well and ti would be helpful for you to know that and work on it, rather than being bitter about it

as for why she lied, what did you want her to say? 'actually no that was ****' in front of another pupil? you'd have just been moaning about how unprofessional that was if she had
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
if you're unsure why you got the mark you did I'd suggest emailing the lecturer for further feedback and clarification, there's likely to be a genuine reason you got less than people you feel didn't perform as well and ti would be helpful for you to know that and work on it, rather than being bitter about it

as for why she lied, what did you want her to say? 'actually no that was ****' in front of another pupil? you'd have just been moaning about how unprofessional that was if she had

I would've prefered honesty tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending