The Student Room Group

I am thinking of taking business studies or economics or psychology?

I need to know whether I should take business studies or economics or psychology urgently
I am also doing dance and geography and I am aware that they do not link very well...

I study none at GCSE level as they are only offered as A-Levels at my school
Thank You

Well I have looked at my sister's work for Psychology and it seems as if it is a hell of a lot of work as I have heard that you must do a lot of work outside school which may become hard for me as I do a considerable amount of outside activities, about 6-8 hrs a week so I might struggle but I am not as aware about how much work you must input into Economics, but I think that I would be more interested in Psychology overall.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by wilfKK
I need to know whether I should take business studies or economics or psychology urgently
I am also doing dance and geography and I am aware that they do not link very well...
Thank you

Firstly do you study any at GCSE?
Original post by wilfKK
Thank you

Out of those, economics is the most respected - but it completely depends upon what you would like to do after you leave school
Economics is the most respected of those three subjects (DEFINITELY pick it over business studies which is, as its acronym suggests, BS). However, if you're more interested in psychology than economics you should go for it since economics is basically assigning fancy terms to more or less logical phenomena so if you don't have a good grasp and feel for the subject (ie the logical phenomena are not common sense to you) it can be a pretty tricky subject. I'd suggest you read the specifications for the two subjects and choose the one that interests you most!
Reply 4
Original post by German123
Firstly do you study any at GCSE?

No they are all only offered as A-level
What do you want to after A-levels?

Economics is the most respectable subject. Honestly unless you actively want to go into management you would probably get more out of economics than business studies.

Psychology is a bit of an anomaly. Still a social science. Not the most respected discipline though and personally I don't find it as intellectual gratifying/useful as sociology. Is nice for a lot of job applications though, especially HR/PR work. Little bit more writing based in psychology and less maths based.
Whichever you feel you would enjoy the most.

I studied Economics and have found it wasn't for everyone. Do what you think you will excel in, not just sheerly because it's respected.

Frankly, employers and universities wouldn't care, unless you want to attend Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL and it's specifically mentioned.

These other kids on here haven't a clue what they're talking about.
Reply 7
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Whichever you feel you would enjoy the most.

I studied Economics and have found it wasn't for everyone. Do what you think you will excel in, not just sheerly because it's respected.

Frankly, employers and universities wouldn't care, unless you want to attend Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL and it's specifically mentioned.

These other kids on here haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Well I have looked at my sister's work for Psychology and it seems as if it is a hell of a lot of work as I have heard that you must do a lot of work outside school which may become hard for me as I do a considerable amount of outside activities, about 6-8 hrs a week so I might struggle but I am not as aware about how much work you must input into Economics, but I think that I would be more interested in Psychology overall.
Original post by wilfKK

Interest is much more important, especially when it comes to A levels as it's a massive jump up from GCSE. Maybe look at the specifications for each subject and decide from there. I can't speak for Psychology but it does sound very interesting. All the best in your choices.
Original post by wilfKK
No they are all only offered as A-level

Well then speak to the people that do the above subjects you mentioned and find out more about them for example are they hard etc.

Quick Reply

Latest