Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why do people use the word 'UGLY' so freely these days? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i feel like the word is thrown around around so much these days, particularly to describe one's own or others' physical appearance. I believe that NOBODY is ugly physically. we all have traits that are attractive and looks are subjective anyway. I have no problem calling someone's personality ugly but it upsets me when people use the term to describe themselves or others in terms of looks.

this is such a hippy post but its open for discussion

ReputationRep:
    Beauty isn't in the eye of the beholder - it's just some beholders have disfunctional eyes.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you comfortable calling someone's personality ugly but not their looks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Beauty isn't in the eye of the beholder - it's just some beholders have disfunctional eyes.
    don't you mean is*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    don't you mean is*?
    No. That's precisely what I don't mean

Read it again XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channies)
    Why are you comfortable calling someone's personality ugly but not their looks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    because nobody chose to look how they are so insulting a person's height, colour, hair texture etc. is just stupid imo. but people DO get to choose how they act towards others (to some extent) so i have no problem calling those who have horrible personalities (rude, obnoxious etc.) ugly (i'll ofcourse make it obvious its their personality thats ugly, not their looks)

ReputationRep:
    No. That's precisely what I don't mean

Read it again XD
    ah i get it now lol

ReputationRep:
    because nobody chose to look how they are so insulting a person's height, colour, hair texture etc. is just stupid imo. but people DO get to choose how they act towards others (to some extent) so i have no problem calling those who have horrible personalities (rude, obnoxious etc.) ugly (i'll ofcourse make it obvious its their personality thats ugly, not their looks)
    Nobody chooses to look how they are?? Never heard of piercings, make up, tattoos, hair dye, cosmetic surgery etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veggiechic6)
    Nobody gets to choose how they look?? Never heard of piercings, make up, tattoos, hair dye, cosmetic surgery etc?
    those things can change you TO AN EXTENT (unless its extreme plastic surgery where the person looks unrecognisable i.e michael jackson or renee zellweger) but you can't ever change your natural looks. ah i dont make sense but i hope you know what im sating.

ReputationRep:
    my thread shoulda been more specific perhaps

when i said "ugly" girls i meant according to society b/c society is the one with the stereotypes. so girls like bjork or suzi quatro whom i think pretty would be ugly in that context. similarly nerdy girls are stereotyped as ugly tho IMO they are not
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    k lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gax)
    k lol
    dont K me :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    1) some people are ugly- get over it
    2) nothing wrong with the word

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R Dragon)
    1) some people are ugly- get over it
    2) nothing wrong with the word
    nobody is ugly lol

ReputationRep:
    nobody is ugly lol
    That's your own outwardly perception, but you're not telling me you can w*** to Shrek

ReputationRep:
    i feel like the word is thrown around around so much these days, particularly to describe one's own or others' physical appearance. I believe that NOBODY is ugly physically. we all have traits that are attractive and looks are subjective anyway. I have no problem calling someone's personality ugly but it upsets me when people use the term to describe themselves or others in terms of looks.

this is such a hippy post but its open for discussion
    These days?

People didn't used to? When?

ReputationRep:
    That's your own outwardly perception, but you're not telling me you can w*** to Shrek
    is shrek human?

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

:toofunny:

wait wait....

:laugh:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    How many brain cells are you missing?
    There is a difference between attractiveness and ugliness.
    I also believe than no normal person is truly ugly looking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.