Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Dad is being horrible to me because I'm staying in my uni town Watch

I'll be finishing university in May, I've been living in different student housing for three years but want to stay and work in my university town as I met many friends there and still want to involved in the student life, few of friends will still be students and staying too.

I told my parents my plans, my mum is completely fine with it and thinks it will good for me to live independently and do things for myself.

My dad on the other hand has been very horrible about it, he doesn't like that I'm staying up there and thinks I'm neglecting the family, I told him time and time again that its not that want get away from the family, I just want to stay living in the town.

He says that when he was my age he stayed in the same city as his parents and can't see why I can't live back in my hometown with my family and work there. He would be moaning why I'm still living with them if I came back so I know he would complain.

How do I get him off my back? stop him from being so selfish? I have a right as a adult now to live and work where I want so I don't see the issue.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, it's always difficult for a parent to adjust to their children getting hold of their own life and making decisions on their own. At least you've got your mother on your side Your father will probably act whiny for a while but then he'll come to terms with your decision. He'd probably like to have you in town 24/7 but when he gets less emotional about the issue, he will prefer you visiting and keeping in touch to you angry at him and not willing to visit.

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore him, your life is yours, not your dads!

At the end of the day if that's what you want to do, do it, no regrets!

You won't get your dad to change he'll still be up-tight about it!

ReputationRep:
    Your dad is certainly being unreasonable, however he probably just misses you and thought you would be coming back right away and so is now only just getting used to the idea you may be gone for longer. To get him off your back maybe just try to stay in contact as much as possible (or will keep you sane) and visit when you can. It might not work, but that's not your fault.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.