Hudl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys, I am reading up on stimuli and it says that

When blood pressure is lower than normal the pressure receptor cells detect this and send an impulse to the centre of the medulla oblongata that deals with increasing the heart rate which sends impulses through the sympathetic nervous system however I was wondering... as the sympathetic nervous system inhibits the effector unlike the parasympathetic nervous system which stimulates the effectors how is the heart rates gonna be increased by inhibiting the effector?

or is this a mistake in the Nelson Thornes book?
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hudl)
Hey guys, I am reading up on stimuli and it says that

When blood pressure is lower than normal the pressure receptor cells detect this and send an impulse to the centre of the medulla oblongata that deals with increasing the heart rate which sends impulses through the sympathetic nervous system however I was wondering... as the sympathetic nervous system inhibits the effector unlike the parasympathetic nervous system which stimulates the effectors how is the heart rates gonna be increased by inhibiting the effector?

or is this a mistake in the Nelson Thornes book?
Ok, there are millions of effectors in our body, so you need to be more precise :3 I think in this circumstance you're getting yourself confused with something else. (e.g. sympathetic stimulation inhibits much of the gastrointestinal function of the body- in order to put that energy to better use etc.)

Sympathetic stimulation increases both the heart rate and stroke volume, which contributes to increasing the total peripheral pressure (blood pressure).

Make sense?
Hudl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by R Dragon)
Ok, there are millions of effectors in our body, so you need to be more precise :3 I think in this circumstance you're getting yourself confused with something else. (e.g. sympathetic stimulation inhibits much of the gastrointestinal function of the body- in order to put that energy to better use etc.)

Sympathetic stimulation increases both the heart rate and stroke volume, which contributes to increasing the total peripheral pressure (blood pressure).

Make sense?
Yeah thanks, makes sense.....what I realised was that I mixed up the meaning of parasympathetic and sympathetic

para inhibits
sym stimulates

Thanks for the reply though
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hudl)
Yeah thanks, makes sense.....what I realised was that I mixed up the meaning of parasympathetic and sympathetic

para inhibits
sym stimulates

You're most welcome :3 feel free to PM me any cardiovascular/biology related questions if you want
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hudl)

para inhibits
sym stimulates

A better way of thinking about it is that sympathetic is your "fight or flight" response. It prepares your body for that situation - you need your heart to go faster, more air in your lungs, you sweat, increase adrenaline production. Digestion isn't important so your sphincters relax. Parasympathetic is "rest and digest" and generally has the opposite effects to the sympathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
heavyhandscott
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Simple way to remember is paralysis stops people from moving, so inhibits the stimulus ad stops it moving (as much )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.18%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.36%
Live streaming events (51)
8.75%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (135)
23.16%
An in-person event when available (129)
22.13%