The Student Room Group

Simultaneous equations

Just having problems with this problem:

2a + ab = -1
a - 3b = 2

At the moment I'm just staring at it without a clue, although I'm guessing a third equation needs to be introduced. If someone could point me in the correct direction I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by coatsoft
Just having problems with this problem:

2a + ab = -1
a - 3b = 2

At the moment I'm just staring at it without a clue, although I'm guessing a third equation needs to be introduced. If someone could point me in the correct direction I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Use the 2nd eq to write a in terms of b, then substitute into the 1st eq so you have a quadratic eq in b to solve.
Reply 2
Original post by davros
Use the 2nd eq to write a in terms of b, then substitute into the 1st eq so you have a quadratic eq in b to solve.

How I didn't spot that I don't know:mad:. Thanks :smile:.
Hi

I've moved this thread to the maths study help forum, as the university subject forums are for discussion about university courses/applying for those courses rather than help with specific problems.
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Hi

I've moved this thread to the maths study help forum, as the university subject forums are for discussion about university courses/applying for those courses rather than help with specific problems.

God, I wasn't having a good day. Sorry, don't know why I put it there.
Original post by coatsoft
God, I wasn't having a good day. Sorry, don't know why I put it there.

It's not a major problem, don't worry. I hope you're having a better day today :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest