Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A majority of you will think I'm stupid for planning University at this age but I just can't stand not knowing. I need to have everything planned out. I'm near the end of secondary school and I am into Computer Science. I'm looking to get into Oxford not because of the name but because of the education they provide. They teach you the whys to everything. An actual understanding to computer science itself rather than programming languages which you're supposed to learn in your own time.(According to their website) I'm A/A* and I am sitting my GCSE exams next year. I'm not being arrogant but realistically, I will get As. I have done some research and Oxford require MATs for admission. Online I've seen people starting to prepare for these exams now. Not actually learning everything now but beginning to learn it and go over papers etc. I want to know how all of this works? What should I do? Should I begin preparing and how? What can I do to get a head start and what is my plan for the future? I'm the kind of person that needs to have plan. I know, most likely, things won't go to plan but I need to have some re assurance. I'm starting to get worried because I'm still a child and I'm entering the real world. All this mumbo jumbo is confusing me.

Editing this it on:
    Computer science at Cambridge does not require step but cs with maths does which I am not planning on doing. An extra question, any tips on bridging the gap between GCSE and A levels.

Thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by potatoman1000)
    A majority of you will think I'm stupid for planning University at this age but I just can't stand not knowing. I need to have everything planned out. I'm near the end of secondary school and I am into Computer Science. I'm looking to get into Oxford not because of the name but because of the education they provide. They teach you the whys to everything. An actual understanding to computer science itself rather than programming languages which you're supposed to learn in your own time.(According to their website) I'm A/A* and I am sitting my GCSE exams next year. I'm not being arrogant but realistically, I will get As. I have done some research and Oxford require MATs for admission. Online I've seen people starting to prepare for these exams now. Not actually learning everything now but beginning to learn it and go over papers etc. I want to know how all of this works? What should I do? Should I begin preparing and how? What can I do to get a head start and what is my plan for the future? I'm the kind of person that needs to have plan. I know, most likely, things won't go to plan but I need to have some re assurance. I'm starting to get worried because I'm still a child and I'm entering the real world. All this mumbo jumbo is confusing me.

Editing this it on:
    Computer science at Cambridge does not require step but cs with maths does which I am not planning on doing. An extra question, any tips on bridging the gap between GCSE and A levels.

Thanks for the help.
    Be aware that some Cambridge collegs require STEP for pure CS, but all of them require it for CS with maths. As long as you go into AS levels ready to work very hard (I did much more work for just my maths a level than my entire GCSEs). I've got an offer from Cambridge for CS so I might be able to answer some of your questions, but I'm not familiar with Oxford's course/process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Be aware that some Cambridge collegs require STEP for pure CS, but all of them require it for CS with maths. As long as you go into AS levels ready to work very hard (I did much more work for just my maths a level than my entire GCSEs). I've got an offer from Cambridge for CS so I might be able to answer some of your questions, but I'm not familiar with Oxford's course/process.
    Well I've read that they will assess your thinking and I'm scared I won't be good enough. How was the interview for you? All AS levels and A levels etc have routine questions. How I can become mathematically intellectual so. regardless of the question asked, I will be able to figure it out without having been taught the guidelines?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by potatoman1000)
    Well I've read that they will assess your thinking and I'm scared I won't be good enough. How was the interview for you? All AS levels and A levels etc have routine questions. How I can become mathematically intellectual so. regardless of the question asked, I will be able to figure it out without having been taught the guidelines?
    If you're not good enough, the degree won't suit you, what's to be scared of? Thought my interviews were quite bad honestlh. There's no way of doing what you're talking about for every case. Aptitude and practise are what make maths questions easier.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.