Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone who has been to or is currently at university tell me about how hard university is in terms of workload, assessments, how much free time you get etc? I'm mainly looking for answers from arts students as I plan to do either an English language degree or film studies.

Sometimes I feel really confused about whether I should go to university or not and what course I should do. I'm currently doing AS levels and although I do find my subjects - English language, film studies and media - interesting I often find studying and revising tedious and boring. I feel trapped and suffocated sometimes and I wish I could just get a job and start living. Despite this I do feel like I want to go to university because it seems like the 'normal' and expected thing for young people of this generation to do but I'm worried I will not cope with the work and the large amount of self study - at the moment it really gets me down that I have little free time because of studying.

I have heard and read a lot of contrasting information, as some people say that uni is easier than A levels and the stereotype of a typical uni student is that of someone who parties a lot and basically has a great time - surely university can not be that demanding if students have time to party and have fun?

So what I need to know is how hard university really is, especially for English or film students? How demanding is the work and how much free time do you get to spend on leisure activities? Does this vary depending on what type of university you attend? What is an English language degree like compared to English language A level?

Please forgive my cluelessness and rambling, I'm just very confused.
    I appreciate any answers you can give. Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ellismall)
    Can anyone who has been to or is currently at university tell me about how hard university is in terms of workload, assessments, how much free time you get etc? I'm mainly looking for answers from arts students as I plan to do either an English language degree or film studies.

Sometimes I feel really confused about whether I should go to university or not and what course I should do. I'm currently doing AS levels and although I do find my subjects - English language, film studies and media - interesting I often find studying and revising tedious and boring. I feel trapped and suffocated sometimes and I wish I could just get a job and start living. Despite this I do feel like I want to go to university because it seems like the 'normal' and expected thing for young people of this generation to do but I'm worried I will not cope with the work and the large amount of self study - at the moment it really gets me down that I have little free time because of studying.

I have heard and read a lot of contrasting information, as some people say that uni is easier than A levels and the stereotype of a typical uni student is that of someone who parties a lot and basically has a great time - surely university can not be that demanding if students have time to party and have fun?

So what I need to know is how hard university really is, especially for English or film students? How demanding is the work and how much free time do you get to spend on leisure activities? Does this vary depending on what type of university you attend? What is an English language degree like compared to English language A level?

Please forgive my cluelessness and rambling, I'm just very confused.
    I appreciate any answers you can give. Thanks.
    I'll break it down for you. I do English Literature and Medieval Studies (the latter being Ancient History before Jan 2015). I'm in my 1st year.

The workload isn't actually that much in terms of what you have to do in lectures. However, pretty much 99 per cent of everyone had to go through lecture slides again and etc because lecturers do go like 100x faster and you have to scribble as much down as possible. You have to redo your notes cause your handwriting will become appalling.

I like how you said "studying tedious". This is why I didn't just do English Literature. I know how to revise for English and quotes are possibly the most dullest sort of revision you could do. So, I picked Medieval Studies and etc so I can learn something new so studying wouldn't be so tedious and monotonous. Yes, revision is boring no matter how you look at it. But the satisfaction knowing you walked out of an exam saying "I'm glad I revised" is such a good feeling and makes it so much worthwhile.

You will have to do a LOT of extra reading esp for my degree. English Language is more putting your theory into practice. You revise a certain grammatical theory, or speech theory etc, you will then have to put that into practice and stuff like that. People do say "uni is so much easier cause you're focuing on one subject" but no. That is a lie. The extra and independent work you have to do gets 100x harder. You have so much content in one module you didn't think it was possible. Every degree and uni is different and a lot of my friends (myself included) just lost all motivation in the first Sem1 and by the end of November, everyone was skipping lectures, missing seminars and etc etc because it just does wear you out. I was there at uni for 3 months. It's different from school cause you have half-term breaks and termly holidays. You have that at uni but only about 2 weeks and a half to three weeks, which is at the end of each semester. So it does wear you down.

However, I have done the one-nighters, partied for a week and etc etc. But you will just be that student who falls into the brackets of the typical "uni student". It's quite funny being a statistic :').

ReputationRep:
    I study Film, and we don't really do much work outside of lectures really!
    That said, when we do have assignments, these are usually large, and devour one/two weeks of my time - the after parties are great though!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.