Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are my Alevel subjects too soft for a good university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm believe I can do well, and I'm really motivated and want to go to a university like Liverpool, Bath, Lancaster to do a degree in Marketing. I'm really passionate about this course and I'm planning to do A LOT of extra activities during summer to boost my persona statement up. I'm also resitting AS.
    I KNOW that I can get straight A's but I feel like my subjects are too weak. The subject, I'm doing is Maths, Applied Business, Product Design and Travel and Tourism. TT really worries me as it is soft

And it's worrying me even more because my mate got 97% in his AS (AAAA) and did maths, further, physics, chemistry and still got rejected by Cambridge. Well failed the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kishothangathura)
    I'm believe I can do well, and I'm really motivated and want to go to a university like Liverpool, Bath, Lancaster to do a degree in Marketing. I'm really passionate about this course and I'm planning to do A LOT of extra activities during summer to boost my persona statement up. I'm also resitting AS.
    I KNOW that I can get straight A's but I feel like my subjects are too weak. The subject, I'm doing is Maths, Applied Business, Product Design and Travel and Tourism. TT really worries me as it is soft

And it's worrying me even more because my mate got 97% in his AS (AAAA) and did maths, further, physics, chemistry and still got rejected by Cambridge. Well failed the interview.
    It all depends on requirements for your specific degree! I don't know much about the specifics of going into marketing but from what I can gather there are rarely set subjects that they want you to take - maybe look at the websites/prospectuses of the unis you're interested in and see if they have any recommended subjects?

(And as a sidenote, sorry your friend didn't get an offer! A lot of very good candidates don't but from your point of view, UMS marks/percentages are only really relevant for Cambridge and you're not going for the same subjects so don't worry!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aLittleBookWorm)
    It all depends on requirements for your specific degree! I don't know much about the specifics of going into marketing but from what I can gather there are rarely set subjects that they want you to take - maybe look at the websites/prospectuses of the unis you're interested in and see if they have any recommended subjects?

(And as a sidenote, sorry your friend didn't get an offer! A lot of very good candidates don't but from your point of view, UMS marks/percentages are only really relevant for Cambridge and you're not going for the same subjects so don't worry!)
    They need AAB - A*AA. but I can get that, just worried about the subjects in all :/ do you think they will offer me

ReputationRep:
    They need AAB - A*AA. but I can get that, just worried about the subjects in all :/ do you think they will offer me
    If you can get the grades and your personal statement shows you have motivation for it then I'm sure you'll be okay. If you're worried though, either talk to a career's adviser (not all schools have them but they're a good source of info normally) or email the university to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aLittleBookWorm)
    If you can get the grades and your personal statement shows you have motivation for it then I'm sure you'll be okay. If you're worried though, either talk to a career's adviser (not all schools have them but they're a good source of info normally) or email the university to ask
    Yes I should do that, and thank you for taking your time to reply!

ReputationRep:
    All you need to do is prove to them how your subjects at A-level are relevant your degree choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    All you need to do is prove to them how your subjects at A-level are relevant your degree choice.
    Thank you, and will that work? You're relieving so much stress

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, and will that work? You're relieving so much stress
    Well it depends if they actually are or not and how persuasive you are XD

If they are then sure it will. They just want to make sure you can do well at the degree that's why they have grade/subject requirements. If your A-levels relate to the degree then they will help you pass it - especially if you get good grades in them.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends if they actually are or not and how persuasive you are XD

If they are then sure it will. They just want to make sure you can do well at the degree that's why they have grade/subject requirements. If your A-levels relate to the degree then they will help you pass it - especially if you get good grades in them.
    to be exact, my alevels do relate to them, tt - customer service,
    applied business - marketing roles, and the whole business subject
    maths - to show that i have a great understanding and can do well
    product design - how to design a product which will appeal to many, and how to attract your target market

i honestly, dont see how physics and chemistry will benefit me in this.
    and I'm a very persuasive person! mark my words, I'm planning to write at least 2,500 words on my PS

ReputationRep:
    to be exact, my alevels do relate to them, tt - customer service,
    applied business - marketing roles, and the whole business subject
    maths - to show that i have a great understanding and can do well
    product design - how to design a product which will appeal to many, and how to attract your target market

i honestly, dont see how physics and chemistry will benefit me in this.
    and I'm a very persuasive person! mark my words, I'm planning to write at least 2,500 words on my PS
    I think you will be absolutely fine. It seems far more sensible to study the A-levels you have than say Chemistry/history/physics/biology...

Just make sure you get good grades!

ReputationRep:

How can you fail an interview that badly (97%!), did he fall asleep?

ReputationRep:
    I think you will be absolutely fine. It seems far more sensible to study the A-levels you have than say Chemistry/history/physics/biology...

Just make sure you get good grades!
    I will and thank you so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I will and thank you so much for your help!
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    How can you fail an interview that badly (97%!), did he fall asleep?
    I do not know, apparently, he wasn't passionate enough about it made me laugh at his face at first, coz he is smart ass but arrogant, but started to feel gutted for him now

ReputationRep:
    I do not know, apparently, he wasn't passionate enough about it made me laugh at his face at first, coz he is smart ass but arrogant, but started to feel gutted for him now
    Where did he go then, it sounds like he's Cambridge's loss, people shouldn't persue achedemia because they don't come across as 'passionate'. Perhaps he was beaten by some 97.5% candidates

ReputationRep:
    Can't help much with the TT problem as I've never seen it so don't know how "soft" it is, however I do know that Cambridge use other factors as well as AS UMS and high UMS does not guarantee a place - it does improve your application but once it gets over ~92% etc it's just assumed they're good enough and they move on to the next criterion such as admissions tests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Where did he go then, it sounds like he's Cambridge's loss, people shouldn't persue achedemia because they don't come across as 'passionate'. Perhaps he was beaten by some 97.5% candidates
    I guess he was beaten by candidates because he applied Physics which is very hard. And he would probably apply through clearing because he probably will get 4 A* this time. Because that guy is smart < mark my words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    And the reason why I laughed is because he will definitely get into Cambridge, hes life is good tbh

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.