Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been studying with a distance learning centre (I'd rather not name them, don't want to give anyone a bad reputation) and I've paid £395 for each subject. The only things I received in the post were textbooks for each subject. Other than that they gave me a password for an online website. On which there were unit outlines (topic and where I could find it on the book) plus some resources for Maths,History and Business but they were all taken from other sites.. Like KhanAccademy etc. while for English as a Second Language the only thing I can use to teach myself is the textbook.
    The good point is that the tutors are super nice and available and they mark my assignments within 48 hours.

Is this the thing with every distance learning centre or I've been fooled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilianD)
    I've been studying with a distance learning centre (I'd rather not name them, don't want to give anyone a bad reputation) and I've paid £395 for each subject. The only things I received in the post were textbooks for each subject. Other than that they gave me a password for an online website. On which there were unit outlines (topic and where I could find it on the book) plus some resources for Maths,History and Business but they were all taken from other sites.. Like KhanAccademy etc. while for English as a Second Language the only thing I can use to teach myself is the textbook.
    The good point is that the tutors are super nice and available and they mark my assignments within 48 hours.

I think I know which provider you're using .

You have to be very careful with distance learning programmes. The point of them is to provide access to education for those who may not be in a situation to attend a traditional school. That doesn't mean that they're intended to replace a 'real' school. But unfortunately it seems a lot of programmes use this method. UoL springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilianD)

Samething happened to me so I got a refund.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Long Distance Crash Higher Biology and they just send me out a pack with all the course notes and I had to work through them and just send TA's (Tutor Assignments) back to them for them to check how I was doing.
    I didn't get a textbooks or any help other than the course notes...
    However, I was doing other subjects at my High School (I'm 16 nearly 17) and one of my teachers got me set up for Higher Biology Scholar etc.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    There are a number of ways in which you can learn "Online" or with a "Distance Learning Provider"

Every distance learning provider will have their own way of "teaching" their students. Years of experience in teaching in the classroom has taught us that ALL students have questions and need support when learning, which is why we offer a Dedicated Course Tutor with ALL of our courses, so that every student has contact with their tutor to ensure they get the most out of the course.

If you would like to consider studying with us, I can send you some information across

M

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.