Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How often for an oil change watch

ReputationRep:
    ....just me again haha

My cars service light came on last week along with an error code (oil change) it's booked in for Saturday.

My question is, has the error code come on because the service light is on? Because as it stands the cars done around 3300 miles, and I'm just wondering if it's going to want an oil change in another 3000 miles too?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Check the oil level using the dip stick and look at the min Max level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)
    ....just me again haha

My cars service light came on last week along with an error code (oil change) it's booked in for Saturday.

My question is, has the error code come on because the service light is on? Because as it stands the cars done around 3300 miles, and I'm just wondering if it's going to want an oil change in another 3000 miles too?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's not many cars that have a service interval of 3000 miles. Can you tell us more about the car? What it is, what engine, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danty)
    There's not many cars that have a service interval of 3000 miles. Can you tell us more about the car? What it is, what engine, etc?
    I know it's definitely due a service anyway, as it's just gone a year old. So I'm not so bothered about the low mileage on it this time around, as obviously it's needs servicing more concerned whether it would last another year...

Car is a vauxhall Adam, 1.4, 1 year old

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know it's definitely due a service anyway, as it's just gone a year old. So I'm not so bothered about the low mileage on it this time around, as obviously it's needs servicing more concerned whether it would last another year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Check the oil dipstick out......the level as well as the colour of the oil itself.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Adam has a service interval of 20,000 miles, but the oil replacement cycle is different, and is based on "oil life", according to the Adam Owners' Club.

Most people seem to be getting over 6000 miles to an oil change, though. Maybe yours is just wearing in?

ReputationRep:
    12M/20,000 miles if you're going by the book to preserve more resale value.

I don't think it's able to detect anything wrong with your oil - it's just time for a service and an oil change is part of the service.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys, as its a newish car I'll have to get it serviced in a years time to keep my warranty, but hopefully it should definitely hold out till then.

If I get chance I'll try mention it to someone tomorrow at jct

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    20k miles is a stupid service interval.
    I don't care what it is, 10k / 12 months absolute max. The additive packages break down and the oil becomes saturated with carbon deposits which eat away at white metal bearings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    20k miles is a stupid service interval.
    I don't care what it is, 10k / 12 months absolute max. The additive packages break down and the oil becomes saturated with carbon deposits which eat away at white metal bearings.
    If it's the manufacturer recommended interval, then I'd have no issues with sticking to that. If you hit 20k in a year, most of that would be motorway miles which would be fairly low stress on the engine, and thus the oil. Obviously 99% of people will be in the 10-15k mile range over 12 months, which is a more standard oil change range.

I need to get around to doing mine sometime soon. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    If it's the manufacturer recommended interval, then I'd have no issues with sticking to that. If you hit 20k in a year, most of that would be motorway miles which would be fairly low stress on the engine, and thus the oil. Obviously 99% of people will be in the 10-15k mile range over 12 months, which is a more standard oil change range.

Mine needs doing soon but it's just too cold for me so I keep putting it off. I might just wait another month and get it done when it's at the garage for MOT.

ReputationRep:

Several tribologist friends of mine have told me that these super extended service intervals are not in the best interest of engine longevity.
    Given that these people are paid to fly all over the world and lecture on lubrication best practice for engines bigger than the average house I'm inclined to listen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrownEyedGirl92)
    Mine needs doing soon but it's just too cold for me so I keep putting it off. I might just wait another month and get it done when it's at the garage for MOT.
    So cold. I replaced one of the electric window winder assemblies in mine the other day and I couldn't feel my fingers by the time I was done. I need to find a tall curb near my flat so I don't have to **** around with jacks and axle stands.

I picked up one of these

bad boys the other day as an upgrade to the 10litre paint bucket I normally use, so it should make it fairly quick and easy. Hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    So cold. I replaced one of the electric window winder assemblies in mine the other day and I couldn't feel my fingers by the time I was done. I need to find a tall curb near my flat so I don't have to **** around with jacks and axle stands.

I picked up one of these

bad boys the other day as an upgrade to the 10litre paint bucket I normally use, so it should make it fairly quick and easy. Hopefully.

Depends what viscosity oil you're using.
    If it's really thin stuff that flows like water - think 0w/40 - it'll go all over the floor!

ReputationRep:
    My step dad did ask about the service interval for my car when we bought it, I'm sure the sales guy said it was a year or every 10k miles

I won't be really be doing over 10k in a year anyway. So I'll just get it serviced yearly - that's if it doesn't want one earlier but hopefully it shouldn't.

My poor cars still waiting for its service after my step dads friend let me down. Booked in for 2 weeks time now -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ....just me again haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cars usually have a service once a year, and the oil is one of the things they usually do when they service it.

ReputationRep:

I picked up one of these

We've got something like that, only about 2 decades old. It does make things easier, right up to the point there is a strong gust of wind which blew the oil all over the driveway and my arm :unimpressed:

Just need to move it once or twice as the oil drains away and creates less of an arc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    We've got something like that, only about 2 decades old. It does make things easier, right up to the point there is a strong gust of wind which blew the oil all over the driveway and my arm :unimpressed:

Just need to move it once or twice as the oil drains away and creates less of an arc.
    Luckily my drain plug is pretty much on the bottom of the sump so there's not too much of an ark. I also have a telescopic magnet tool which is useful for fishing the drain plug out of the oil when I invariably drop it as it finished unthreading. This tool is also useful for retrieving sockets and other things I drop into the abyss in the bottom of the engine bay :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Luckily my drain plug is pretty much on the bottom of the sump so there's not too much of an ark. I also have a telescopic magnet tool which is useful for fishing the drain plug out of the oil when I invariably drop it as it finished unthreading. This tool is also useful for retrieving sockets and other things I drop into the abyss in the bottom of the engine bay :rolleyes:
    Fair enough. My focus its on a slight angle so shoots backwards at first. I just put on latex gloves and do it by hand for the last few turns then leave it on the oil collection tank until its drained out.

Wish I had one of them when I dropped something into where the timing belt/chain was on my parents old Cavalier. Getting that back was a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    My step dad did ask about the service interval for my car when we bought it, I'm sure the sales guy said it was a year or every 10k miles

I won't be really be doing over 10k in a year anyway. So I'll just get it serviced yearly - that's if it doesn't want one earlier but hopefully it shouldn't.

My poor cars still waiting for its service after my step dads friend let me down. Booked in for 2 weeks time now -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't let you're step dad's friend service your car. Take it to Vauxhall.

It might cost more per service but it will retain a lot more of it's value when you come to selling a low mileage Vauxhall Adam with full dealer service history - and if that's in a few years then you'll see the benefits.

People who "service" cars do the oil and the filters - common service parts, but a dealer full service includes full fluid replacement (brakes, gearbox oil) and a general once over on the car by people who know what to look for on that specific car.

If you can't afford to get it done by Vauxhall, at least get it done by a reputable VAT registered garage that will stamp your service book for you.

~Matt

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 8, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a Festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.