Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Serious gcse drama practical and mock exam help needed please. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I need help with two things that I need help with because I have no idea what to do. *WARNING IN ADVANCED THIS IS LONG BUT I AM REALLY STRESSED PLEASE HELP AND I AM NEW TO THIS*
    The first thing is:
    I have just got my Drama written mock exam result back and it was awful. I did section a where I wrote about my devised piece to which my group have done nothing (I will get to my concerns about that in a minute), my section c, where you write a theatre review wasn't too bad and that brought my mark up a little bit. Overall I got 69%, which is a B, but I'm taking theatre studies for A-Level so I'm really worried because my drama teacher has not gave me any tips on written exams really since we are doing the practical stuff. Anybody got any tips on how to write a good drama essay, particularly section a.
    The second thing:
    My practical exam is in seven weeks and my group have done nothing, we have devised nothing. There are many things wrong with our group and yes I know how this sounds but it just seems to be me who does most of the work, scripting, research, etc, and I know how that sounds but yeh. My group are fine once we get an idea and we work on it, its great! There is also one girl in my group who is constantly taking time off for no good reason and when she is in lesson she distracts the rest of the group, and its hard to do anything when she is not their. My drama teacher is also concerned and she did the same thing last year and got away with it. I really don't know what to do about it*PLEASE MAY SOMEONE HELP I NEED ADVICE, SORRY FOR LENGTH AND CAPS*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliviaLeverxox)
    Okay so I need help with two things that I need help with because I have no idea what to do. *WARNING IN ADVANCED THIS IS LONG BUT I AM REALLY STRESSED PLEASE HELP AND I AM NEW TO THIS*
    The first thing is:
    I have just got my Drama written mock exam result back and it was awful. I did section a where I wrote about my devised piece to which my group have done nothing (I will get to my concerns about that in a minute), my section c, where you write a theatre review wasn't too bad and that brought my mark up a little bit. Overall I got 69%, which is a B, but I'm taking theatre studies for A-Level so I'm really worried because my drama teacher has not gave me any tips on written exams really since we are doing the practical stuff. Anybody got any tips on how to write a good drama essay, particularly section a.
    The second thing:
    My practical exam is in seven weeks and my group have done nothing, we have devised nothing. There are many things wrong with our group and yes I know how this sounds but it just seems to be me who does most of the work, scripting, research, etc, and I know how that sounds but yeh. My group are fine once we get an idea and we work on it, its great! There is also one girl in my group who is constantly taking time off for no good reason and when she is in lesson she distracts the rest of the group, and its hard to do anything when she is not their. My drama teacher is also concerned and she did the same thing last year and got away with it. I really don't know what to do about it*PLEASE MAY SOMEONE HELP I NEED ADVICE, SORRY FOR LENGTH AND CAPS*
    Your problem with your group is the story of my friggin life in Drama!

What you need to do is not be afraid to be firm, after all it is your GCSE grade on the line. Go into the next lesson with a strong, developed but not such an overdeveloped idea that other members feel like they haven't had a say in it. Get your group to have a meeting and pitch the idea to them, clearly, don't ramble about how it will bee when you add this and that or use this prop or that prop, just a simple explanation of your idea will work, then gauge their reactions too see whether they are into it or not, if they show some interest, what I find useful is to say "okay cool, so should we just start from the top and improvise a few scenes and see where it goes". Do this until 10 minutes before the end of the lesson, during the 10 minutes before the end, have another group meeting in which you write down all scene ideas which work and ones which will be easy to implement acting devices in. Take the notes home and write a script based around the scenes which you, collectively as a group, have decided will work, bring this to them next lesson and boom you have the basis of your drama.

On the other hand, if your group HATES every idea you are pitching, it may be a good idea to speak to your teacher and ask them to give you inspiration, our teacher normally has examples of devices, settings and characters which we can look at for inspiration.

If the issue is with members of the group and not the performance itself, that is something else you need to consult your teacher about because if you try and resolve it by yourself it can lead to a bad working relationship which may ruin your performance.

Sorry this was so lengthy but I hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    Which exam board is it? There will be past papers and mark schemes on the website which you can look at to see examples.

Here's the AQA one: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/drama...cse/drama-4240

Edexcel: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...le-assessments

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.