Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to stay calm under pressure or when put on the spot watch

It's something I struggle great with. Whenever I'm under heaps of pressure I start panicking and my mind becomes very frequent e.g. when doing last minute cramming it takes me forever to read even a sentence and absorb it.

By the same token when in class I'm put on the spot I can't articulate as well as I'd normally do, it feels like something very sharp pierces me in the forefront and I kind of have to gasp for air and stutter.

On the exterior I am a very measured and calm person but internally I don't know what happens. I would say out of 10 I'd be an 8.5 in confidence but I just fall apart when around people I recognize.

Can anyone provide me with some useful tips to get over these issues? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I think you know why it is happening. You want to control the situation, based on bad experience in the past on one or two occasions.

The easiest way to overcome this, and it should be easy since you are relatively confident in general.

Get put on the spot as much as possible. Your brain becomes immune.

It's the same with public speaking, excessive practice leads to no fear in that specific situation.

Eventually you will come to the conclusion that nothing actually matters and nobody is perfect.

If you fumble over your words, it's not bad if you continue, own it and proceed.

You think Obama was that charismatic of a public speaker in his younger days?; nope. Research him. Practice, Practice, Practice, it takes time and persistence.

Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    ^^^spoken like a true Rothschild

perfection is unattainable expectation of it is vanity, let go of the need for control and the need for perfection shall fall, but of course saying this and doing it are rather different things. Control is a fallacious transient concept like confidence all the same, in weeks to come this moment will feel far more insignificant than it does here and now, focus on here and now and feel the greatness of nirvana

ReputationRep:
    take your time

that has been the most important thing for me - just pausing for a second, collecting my thoughts, taking a deep breath and remembering that it is okay to speak when I am ready

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    take your time

that has been the most important thing for me - just pausing for a second, collecting my thoughts, taking a deep breath and remembering that it is okay to speak when I am ready
    Repped

After a couple of times it becomes the norm in your genetic reaction.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.