Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, first post here!

I'm an applicant to a few politics/IR MPhil programmes at Oxford and Cambridge. Fourth (and final) year student at a Scottish Russell Group university reading a joint honours degree in a modern European language and politics.

Not sure how common my situation is, but I achieved average (~65%) marks in my first two years at university, with one C in both my first and second years and only one A (which I earned in my second year in a politics course). I became very serious during my third year, however, which I spent abroad at a reputable political sciences institution on the Continent. I came out of the year with an 83% average, and am currently sitting on a fourth year average of 74%, with a very realistic prospect of graduating this summer with a first.

So, my question is: how important are pre-honours marks in the choice of whether to offer a candidate a place? I'm confident in my application materials (personal statement, writing samples, recommendations) but a little worried about those two Cs and all those Bs in my pre-honours years.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in this as well...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.