Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just looking over an epsilon-delta proof for limits and came across this example of a proof that a function has a limit.

I just cannot understand why at the one point he chooses delta to be equal to the minimum of 1 and epsilon over 6 I've read over it at least six times and I just don't see why the minimum value.

I've attached the end of the problem but I believe it is pretty standard in these types of proofs so I don't suppose it is really needed.

Please try to explain to me as simply as possible because it's just not sinking in at all I need some really good explanation because I'm just not getting that link in my head.

Thanks!!!

Attached Images

• PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    It's magic, effectively. The way this kind of proof is often discovered is to work out all the steps with \delta being arbitrary, and then from the final result we work out what \delta needed to be in the first place. When a proof is written down, you lose that working-out process and are left with magic \delta which doesn't seem to have come from anywhere at all. It looks like that discovery-process is outlined just above the extract you provide here.

If your question was more generally "why is delta defined at all", it's because continuity is defined as "for every epsilon, there is a delta such that…". Therefore, to show continuity, you need to prove that given an arbitrary epsilon, you can produce a delta such that {property holds}, and to be properly rigorous you need to give \delta in terms of \epsilon.

If your question was "why is delta a minimum", it's because continuity is a local property. A silly example: imagine the indicator function of [0, infinity) on \mathbb{R}. We show that it's continuous on (0,infinity). Indeed, we'll show a specific example of making delta from epsilon first, before moving onto the general case: let x be 1/2, let \epsilon = \frac{1}{4}, and let \delta be \epsilon. Then for all y where |y-x| < 1/4 = delta, |f(y)-f(x)| = 0 < 1/4 = epsilon. So that works. (Note, by the way, that delta=epsilon works here for no particular reason other than that epsilon is bigger than 0. Let's run with it and assume that I didn't spot that, |f(y)-f(x)| is always less than epsilon, no matter what epsilon is, in this special case.)

Now what about if we release x from just being 1/2? Hmm, now we might have annoying things like x=1/8, and then y=-1/16 breaks the theorem. We're going to have to make delta smaller: take it as min(x, epsilon), so that the ball of radius delta centred on x never escapes (0, infinity).

How about finally releasing epsilon? Imagine I took a truly massive epsilon; then the min(x, epsilon) has still made sure that our delta-ball never escapes (0,inf), so that's fine.

Therefore, letting delta = min(x, epsilon) works.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.