The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Born and raised in Birmingham

I used to feel strongly English and pro-Britain but my experiences in the last few years make me feel like I'll never be accepted as British/English due to my ethnicity - so now I just feel completely indifferent, I feel stuck between English and my roots yet I can't fully connect with either

Ah well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by uberteknik
That's a rather big assumption for someone you know absolutely nothing whatsoever about.

i'm right though aren't i

Original post by uberteknik
Let's be honest here, you pick on the glass half-empty pessimistic side of life which is rather sad.

Why should I not be proud? I could say British is the best language, literature, science, arts and music on this planet, a rich historical tapestry with a legacy that stretches across the planet, jam, cream and scones in a country tea-room, picnics in the summer, Ascot, the Grand National, Wimbledon, Rugby, Henley Regatta, Glyndebourne, Sunday roast at home with the family, Bonfire Night, Summer Solstice at Stonehenge, Greenwich Meridian, Parliament, Magna Carter, Museums, NHS, the only unarmed police of all the major economies in the world along with Norway and Iceland, perhaps the most respected armed forces in the world.....that is only the start.

You're so funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by og.east
i'm right though aren't i

For me to know. :wink:
Original post by Rugar Rell
You're so funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you.
Original post by zippity.doodah
I'd say both those definitions are good for having a go at defining britishness - one of them is a good political definition, and the other is a good societal definition. sure, you could say other western nations share our political values, but oh well.

I'd suggest we care a bit more as a society about meritocracy and free trade (especially for smaller parties) than a lot of other Western countries. The latter makes particular sense against the backdrop of a trading history. On both you can find some quite clear contrasts in Latin Europe.

I find this trend of vocally disassociating one's identity from one's country a bit faddy, boring, and just annoying. Personally I feel very British and I only feel at home here.

Haven't been allowed to feel British so no. If you're not white you won't ever be classed as British. Funny enough I don't think this is a problem in America.

No, in America the racist armed police just shoot you if you happen to be the wrong colour.
Are you a non-white living in Scotland? You must be a rare breed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, in fact I was raised in a family who are proud Scots. I just don't get it, then again I never got that kind of stuff.
Original post by YGD
Try Uzbekistan...

In fairness though if I was offered US citizenship I would take it and renounce my British and Irish citizenship in order to do so.

I've looked into the possibility of emigrating, but I'm apathetic towards nationalism and patriotism generally so I'm not sure it would make any difference tbh. Living in another country where I'll never really be 100% apart of.
Somali whose born in Sweden and came to the uk when I was 8 and I don't feel more swedish or less British. It's a weird place I don't think I'd belong in somalia either bc I'm a diaspora and grew up differently and with less somali culture influencing my life. It's like I'm in tryna find balance in my identity :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Felt more English when I lived in the provinces, now I live in London area, I feel British.

Still have no idea what British values are meant to be. Even if I did, I don't see how they'd be much different from French, German, Slovakian values.
Original post by TimmonaPortella

lol i meant you are tolerant in terms of sexual orientation :tongue:
Original post by Lionheart96
lol i meant you are tolerant in terms of sexual orientation :tongue:

I think we're quite tolerant in terms of race too. At least by comparison with mostly everywhere else. Have a look at this, for example: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/. I'm finding it hard to find other quick and easy stats, but I've seen some. Another particular is that the UK has pretty much the lowest rate of antisemitism in Europe.

I just don't really perceive too much of an issue around race here. Maybe I just don't associate that much with people who are likely to be racist.
I feel incredibly English, I partake in the usual games of shooting, croquet, horse riding etc.

I wouldn't like to be called English though, European will do me fine :h:
Reply 53
Original post by D.n.A
Okay I'll start off with saying, I'm born in London.

Now I'm growing up I'm starting to connect with my background more and more, the culture, music etc, though I have very different views to people from my country, and I prefer it britain, i don't feel British

Of course you wouldn't feel British. You were born here and yet you still don't say it's your country. Like it or not, this is your culture and background. What you are talking about is your parents' background and culture.

Original post by Secretnerd123
i'm somali and have lived in London since i was 3 (almost 20 now) and yeah i get what you mean about not feeling British. i feel more connected to my culture than the british one but that might be because i'm also a muslim but idk

Same goes for you. Your culture is British culture since you've spent basically your whole life here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by D.n.A
Okay I'll start off with saying, I'm born in London and I'm grateful, I've met so many different people from different backgrounds and it's a pleasure to live here, honestly very diverse, I don't think I'd get to meet as many people from anywhere else expect for here. Second of the UK is a great country to live in, good education, health care, people, etc. But I don't feel truly British, i tried to get into British stuff when I was younger, but I didn't truly get into it, now I'm growing up I'm starting to connect with my background more and more, the culture, music etc, though I have very different views to people from my country, and I prefer it britain, i don't feel British, I face myself asking, if there was ever another thing like World War 3, would I fight for Britain, I'm starting to disconnect with Britain tiny tiny bits day by day, anyone else feel like this or is just me?

Hi

I don't know your background, but I would say this is a little like being brought up in the West Country and coming to live in London. At first everything seems strange and you think to yourself, I don't feel like a Londoner, I am a country lad.

And it is fine to think that. If you were from Devon say it is fine to think back to your old days and how you loved going fishing with your mates. Well, the scenario will be different.

What I am trying to say is it takes time to adjust.

Feel proud of your background. Don't let anyway make you feel bad about that.

Maybe you will find some other people from your community you can talk to, see how they are feeling.

Also I would suggest try to engage with your community. Maybe little things like take up a hobby or sport. Get to know some other people. Learn how they tick. People from far that you don't understand may seem cold. But when you get to understand them more, you just ... click.
Hmm... Interesting question.

I don't feel entirely British - but I'm a naturalised citizen so that might have something to do with it.

Before the UK, I spent the ages of 0 - 7 living in Nigeria (where I was born), Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia and The Netherlands. I'm one of those "expat kids", went to private international schools for most of my life and had the experience of meeting numerous amounts of people from all over.

That said, our mannerisms and the accents we had were all firmly the same - American. Never really lived in the states myself but I have a strong accent.
This leaves me in the situation where I have a huge range of interests and customs that I have acquired from the various places I've lived, some of those are very British indeed. It doesn't help that I live in Scotland either, here, people have pride in being Scottish first and British second - I still don't feel that pride.

Basically, I've only really been surrounded by Scottish people for 5 years - when I had to switch to a local state school because my dad passed away - before that I was still living in the pseudo-american international school bubble. Only conversing with fellow expats. So, as far as feeling British, I should - been here for 11 of my 17 years - yet I don't feel I have been actually "submerged" in the British culture to feel like that yet.

I still feel awkward saying i'm "from" Scotland, I feel that doesn't really capture my background.

Holy crap that was like my life story....

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm Polish, Irish, Scottish, German and Russian. Everything except English.

I look like an average European - like the people from central Europe.

I don't feel like I belong in this country at all. (Though I wouldn't want to either. This country is a terrible country).
(edited 9 years ago)
I feel British to the core. It's awkwards when I bleed, as my blood is blue and white in addition to red.
Not so much really... I sort of do but at the same time, my cultural views differ from the typical 'Briton', so I don't feel like I belong to anything, tbh... Britain's not so much a 'home' as it is a house, metaphorically speaking.
Reply 59
I'm British as I was born here but if WW3 broke out I would fight against Britain
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest