Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well.

Basically I have to write a detailed essay on ATP, now obviously the topic is pretty brief and I have a lot of choice in what I can write so my question is if you guys dont mind, can you just list topics linked to ATP i could do a paragraph for, I already have a few but it be nice to see if im missing anything important or interesting on ATP.

Btw this essay will be only on first year biochem knowledge (uni) so nothing extremely crazy in terms of detail!

So just list any interesting topics which involve ATP

ReputationRep:
    What im thinking so far is:

-Properties of ATP
    -Glycolysis/Oxidative Phos/Respiration
    -Bio energetics/Coupling reactions/Active transport/Link in ion transport/Na/K pump.
    -Photosynthesis
    -Cell signalling?

Anything else, by the way i need to focus more on the ATP molecule rather than the process, so I cant really do protein synthesis.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like a pretty good list to me. How long is this essay supposed to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanra)
    Looks like a pretty good list to me. How long is this essay supposed to be?
    Around 2000 words-ish.
    So i think im going to need a bit more, just cant think of much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandasareamazing)
    Around 2000 words-ish.
    So i think im going to need a bit more, just cant think of much
    I would say start writing with the ideas you have for now. 2000 words really isn't as much as it sounds (whenever I write a coursework essay I always end up having to cut down due to overestimating the word count). New ideas tend to pop into your head as you're writing anyway, and there is no reason why you can't confer with classmates to see what other people are writing about.

Also, detail. It's better to write about 5 things really well, than to give a vague overview of 10 things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanra)
    I would say start writing with the ideas you have for now. 2000 words really isn't as much as it sounds (whenever I write a coursework essay I always end up having to cut down due to overestimating the word count). New ideas tend to pop into your head as you're writing anyway, and there is no reason why you can't confer with classmates to see what other people are writing about.

Also, detail. It's better to write about 5 things really well, than to give a vague overview of 10 things.
    Thats very true!,
    Yeh thats fine then, thanks for everything!

ReputationRep:
    I think your last three bullets are kind of out of place in terms of the theme of your essay. They are processes that involve ATP, yes, but that also describes pretty much everything. When you describe these processes the focus on those paragraphs is not likely to be focused on ATP itself. I think those paragraphs would be better off if you briefly touched on them as a summary of examples at the very end of your essay, if at all. Also try to illustrate something specific about ATP with each example, eg. exactly how much energy is contained with each bond.

After a thorough introduction on structure I think you are better off going into more detail on how ATP is generated. Glycolysis, the ETC, and if you care to research it the mechanics of ATP synthase will probably get you extra marks. Take advantage of the fact that you can use a diagram to describe the structure of the mitochondria and the locations of the reactions without using up your word count. Another little detail you can and probably should be aware of is that ATP forming processes operate on a negative feedback loop with AMP as an activator, not ADP, since two ADP molecules are scavenged to form AMP+ATP. You need to look up the maths that illustrates why this is advantageous (this ties into your introduction being thorough enough to include energy equations). Also look up the detail of which specific enzymes are AMP dependent, since I can't remember. I don't remember if cAMP plays a role in all this, but if it does you need to know it and if not forget I mentioned it. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    I think your last three bullets are kind of out of place in terms of the theme of your essay. They are processes that involve ATP, yes, but that also describes pretty much everything. When you describe these processes the focus on those paragraphs is not likely to be focused on ATP itself. I think those paragraphs would be better off if you briefly touched on them as a summary of examples at the very end of your essay, if at all. Also try to illustrate something specific about ATP with each example, eg. exactly how much energy is contained with each bond.

After a thorough introduction on structure I think you are better off going into more detail on how ATP is generated. Glycolysis, the ETC, and if you care to research it the mechanics of ATP synthase will probably get you extra marks. Take advantage of the fact that you can use a diagram to describe the structure of the mitochondria and the locations of the reactions without using up your word count. Another little detail you can and probably should be aware of is that ATP forming processes operate on a negative feedback loop with AMP as an activator, not ADP, since two ADP molecules are scavenged to form AMP+ATP. You need to look up the maths that illustrates why this is advantageous (this ties into your introduction being thorough enough to include energy equations). Also look up the detail of which specific enzymes are AMP dependent, since I can't remember. I don't remember if cAMP plays a role in all this, but if it does you need to know it and if not forget I mentioned it. Hope that helps.
    Thanks so much,
    I was thinking in the BioEnergetics paragraph to put in the high energy bonds and talk about forming AMP+ATP.

Thing is, like you've said the topics ive listed are processes and are extremely hard just to focus on atp. Im unsure what else i could talk about more linked to ATP.

ReputationRep:
    I think the stuff I have mentioned will get you close enough to 2k words very easily. As an earlier poster said, you don't really need any more subtopics. If you are really really struggling to find something to write that is relevant, I would honestly just cut the essay at 1600 words rather than scrape the barrel for peripheral ideas to write about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    I think the stuff I have mentioned will get you close enough to 2k words very easily. As an earlier poster said, you don't really need any more subtopics. If you are really really struggling to find something to write that is relevant, I would honestly just cut the essay at 1600 words rather than scrape the barrel for peripheral ideas to write about.
    Thanks a ton

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.