Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is drinking rain water safe? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Let's say you put buckets outside and caught rain water to and bottled it.. would it actually be safe enough to drink without all the filtering etc? Only asking out of interest really as I'm trying to find a plausible reason why humans should pay for an essential survival substance which is a natural resource.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rugar Rell)
    Let's say you put buckets outside and caught rain water to and bottled it.. would it actually be safe enough to drink without all the filtering etc? Only asking out of interest really as I'm trying to find a plausible reason why humans should pay for an essential survival substance which is a natural resource.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For the amount of water you'd actually acquire, this is a bit labour-intensive, isn't it?

In answer to your question, it depends on whereabouts you live, and whether there are any pollutants being produced nearby that could be dissolved into the water. Just think as well, if the water was running off, say, your roof and into a bucket. There could be all manner of things on said roof.

Maybe you'd have to boil it and filter it.

ReputationRep:
    There's a clip on youtube where someone picks up a load of snow and puts it into a hot pan on his cooker. The water melts and boils off to leave this thick, disgusting black stuff behind. This is bad news for me because I've eaten handfuls of snow since I was a little kid.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.