How common are interviews for entry into biology courses? Watch

Lou_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Is it likely that I'll have to go to an interview for biology?

Has anyone here had to?
Iscariot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Only very few institutions interview for them. It will generally say on the university's undergraduate prospectus page whether or not they require an interview as part of the application process.
Hell Boy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Which few interview? of course, i could look it up. But im thinking Iscariot knows it already...
tetedupet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
UCL and Imperial generally interview, that's all I'm aware of. Possibly Bristol? I'm going through this whole UCAS thing again after dropping out of The University of Edinburgh. Last year I applied to:

Edinburgh, York, UCL, Durham, Newcastle and Sheffield. Only UCL interviewed me.
Lou_
Rep:
?
tetedupet did you drop out because you didn't like Edinburgh Uni?
I'm just wondering since I've applied there.
john171
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Usually, for the vast majority of universities, about 5-10%.
Hell Boy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey, john171. Where did you get the statistics from?
Lou_
Rep:
?
And also is it quite common to have to do anatomy in your 1st year?
I hate hate the thought of looking at an actual human body that's right there in front of me.
Iscariot
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Unless you're doing medicine or something you're unlikely to have to ever see a human body in pieces. The closest you'll get to a human body in anatomy is one drawn in your textbook.
being kevin
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Hi,
I'm a first year biologist, got offers from york(where i'm at now), imperial, warwick, manchester, surrey, bath - none of them requested an interview. And no, no human bodies so far.

Come to York!!
Bananarama
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
tetedupet, you didn't tell me you dropped out!! what happened?
nepali_babu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Imperial were really suprisingly easy to get into, i applied fo rit with a maths personal statement and i didnt have an interview. i was really suprised!
tetedupet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bananarama)
tetedupet, you didn't tell me you dropped out!! what happened?
I did the direct entry thing into the 2nd year, really wasn't good for me... felt it was too hard and I was lacking certain knowledge... very little support to help bring you up to speed. I did really well in my Biology a-level, got As in all 6 modules, but the step was just too big and I couldn't concentrate fully on my work as I was unhappy with my accommodation... my flatmates were really boring and I'm quite an outgoing person, also the accommodation (self-catered) was quite poor for what I was paying... decided I should take a gap year and start elsewhere. The self-catered accommodation is ok generally, but as you only share with about 3/4 other people and not larger numbers like other unis, it's harder to find people who are "your type of people" if you get what i mean. Plus, the distance from my accommodation to the kings buildings was ridiculous.
Bananarama
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm glad I didn't take direct entry now. Well I hope your gap year goes well and you end up happier. How far out was your accomm.? Pollock is like 30 minutes walk, soooo hard to get up for 9am biochem 3 times a week.
nepali_babu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what is direct entry? you guys jump straignt into the second year?
ragchez
Report 12 years ago
I've applied to biological courses in 2007 at oxford, imperial, warwick, UCL, manchester. So far manchester has invited me for an interview and so has bristol. I don't think they are gonna be too formal.
Bananarama
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dr Shrestha)
what is direct entry? you guys jump straignt into the second year?
Yes, I'm at Edinburgh and I think it's a Scottish thing. I was told that if I got AAB or higher, with Chemistry and Biology A-Level, that I could go straight into second year. Most of the courses here are 4 years (including an honors year). I got AAA and I didn't take it.
arod
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Are you finding it pretty easy going or abit repetitive then?? I don't know anything about the A level system, but aren't those the sort of grades that get you into Oxford and Cambridge?
nepali_babu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
at AAA level oxford ad cambridge is not just about the grades anymore. the interviews are a big deciding factor.
nepali_babu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bananarama)
Yes, I'm at Edinburgh and I think it's a Scottish thing. I was told that if I got AAB or higher, with Chemistry and Biology A-Level, that I could go straight into second year. Most of the courses here are 4 years (including an honors year). I got AAA and I didn't take it.
so you will still stay in Uni for 3 years then?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads