The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
SmilerNuts
Lib North - Aberdeens not that far from Glasgow - you can easy fly or get a train/bus in only a couple of hours. Does anyone see their families much once they leave home?

I suppose that's true, but it seemed incredibly 'up north' to my Lowlandishness. Probably more of a psychological barrier than anything - I went up once and quite liked the look of the uni.

And when I say coming back to see my family and friends, I really mean coming back to go to the pub and buy ice cream.

Lou_
Is Dundee good?

I think it's going to be my 2nd choice if I get accepted at Aberdeen or St. Andrews.

Depends what you like in a uni. I've always thought you really need to see unis for yourself and get your own feel for them.

It's quarter of an hour up the road for St Andy's, so if you wanted to see them you could kill two birds with one stone.

I would love to go to Edinburgh but like you I want to move out of home and considering I stay in Edinburgh that's not possible if I go there.

I had a friend who rather cheated the Glasgow system by using another family member's address for all UCAS etc stuff. He got into halls, clever bastard.
Reply 41
i get id'd almost everywhere in edinburgh, and i'm almost 21! Most of the places have the blue light things that detect fake id's too. Student union's will still let you in while still 17 though.
How does a blue light detect fake id?
Reply 43
its a UV type light, they have security measures on driving licences and passports, which show up under uv light, if they don't show up then the ID is fake. (not sure of the specifics, but quite a few palces in edinburgh have started using them in the last year, so it must detect a lot of fakes)
Reply 44
If I left school at the end of this year I would only be 16 (5th year).
Yeah but the majority of people would go at the end of 6th year so you would be 17
Reply 46
scottish system confuses me...

i wouldn't think many universities accept 16 year olds, though i could be wrong, i know some uni's have their rules.
No its just some courses that have rules and age restrictions like medicine etc, mainly so people cant join at end of 5th year.

Whats wrong with scottish system?
Reply 48
I thought most uni's have a age limit of 17, at least the uni's i applied to have.

its confusing!!

England you leave at the end of school or the end of College/sixth form (if you want to go to uni), in scotland you seem to leave as when you feel like it. (i know its not really like that :wink: )
Reply 49
Wrong Kirsty :biggrin: Our very own uni accepts sixteen year olds (girl lived upstairs from me last year left school after fifth year and was still sixteen, I think one of the girls on my course was only sixteen as well)
is there not some thing in England called sixth form college? does anyone know what that is? Sure, in scotland people leave for uni at all different times during the year and stuff, especially the 12 year olds lol
Reply 51
generally you leave school at 16, go to college, or to sixth form to do a-levels. Colleges are like uni's in the sense that they let all ages in, whereas a sixth form college only lets 16-18 year olds in.
Reply 52
Don't worry about age... it doesn't matter, seriously.

I got an unconditional offer when I was 16, and was extremely nervous that I might not be old enough and wouldn't fit in because everyone else will be 18 minimum.

So I deferred my entry and took a gap year, and that's the worst decision I ever made. I'm now 17, and I'm in a band which a bunch of guys who are all 19-21 and they're at uni, and we get along amazingly well.

So the thing I worried about was nothing at all, and now that i've taken a gap year because of it, i'm going through hell. I'll still only be 17 when I start in September. I wish I'd went last year.

edit: So yes, they will let you in no problem regardless of being only 17, I wasonly 16 when I recieved my offers.
How could you get an unconditional at 16? surely you would have only passed your standard grades/gcse's at that point and would be waiting on your highers/a-levels

Is 6th form not just like 6th year at scottish schools?
Reply 54
SmilerNuts
How could you get an unconditional at 16? surely you would have only passed your standard grades/gcse's at that point and would be waiting on your highers/a-levels

Is 6th form not just like 6th year at scottish schools?

I'm not sure how sixth form works. Isn't sixth form 2 years of college?

If it is then it does work on a similar basis to 5th/6th year. Standard grades are taken in the 4th year of high school, Highers/Intermediates are taken in the 5th year, and Intermediates/Highers/Advanced Highers are taken in the 6th year.

Well my birthday is in november, and I started school at the age of 4 while most start at 5. I also applied to uni during 5th year, where most people don't apply until 6th year.

So I got my standard grade results at 15, higher results and uni offers at 16.

Edit: Get what you mean now. Yeah my offer was a conditional, but then my results came through and it turned to Unconditional, I then took a gap year.
so what did you do on your gap year? something worthwhile i hope lol! and why did you apply in 5th year and not 6th like everyone else?
Yeah i was 4 when i started too, also a november birthday, its not that uncommon to start uni at less than 18
Reply 56
Nothing interesting at all so far lol. The main aim of the gap year is to save up money... which is falling through so far.

I applied in 5th year to keep my options open. If I got my offers and all the uni business done by 5th year then it meant I had three options.

1) Go to uni
2) Take a gap year
3) Go back to school and have a relaxing 6th year, safe in the knowledge that my future is sound and not based on how well I do in my final year, in which there are no second chances.

I know a lot of people take a gap year without applying first, but I didn't know if my grades would have been enough from 5th year to take a gap year after it.
Reply 57
Some people apply after 5th year just because they're sick of school :biggrin:

As far as I understand sixth form colleges, rather than staying at school and doing your A Levels, you leave school to go to a college just for people doing A Levels, yes?
Reply 58
Acaila
Some people apply after 5th year just because they're sick of school :biggrin:

As far as I understand sixth form colleges, rather than staying at school and doing your A Levels, you leave school to go to a college just for people doing A Levels, yes?

Yeah that was another reason that I left out=P...

Yeah I believe that's how sixth form works. Although I think there are some schools that offer A levels. But in most cases you'll have to move on to sixth form.

I think it's a good idea, would be nice to have it implemented in Scotland. That way senior studets(5th/6th year) wouldn't have to stay in the same building as all the 4th year neds who haven't yet had the chance to leave to go off and do some labouring apprenticeship:P...
Reply 59
I should have said you CAN leave school :smile:

I quite liked staying in the same school, probably would have rather not left it. Would have missed out on prefectship, teachers being much more nice that everyone else was strict, being one of the old drama folk and such :biggrin:

Latest