Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I wonder if anyone can help me with a question on finance.
    The situation is 24 year old starting full time engineering course in Sept 2015 living away from home. Currently living with 19 year old girlfriend at her grandmothers house (currently on income support). I have lived away from my mother for 11 months. She now lives elsewhere with her new partner. I am not supported financially by my mother or her partner in any way and my father is deceased. The question I would like to ask is - will my mothers and her partners income affect any grants or allowances I could claim for?
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

    Only students who are either 25 at the start of their course, are married, have a child, or are estranged from their parents can be assessed as independent.

    If you are estranged from your mother you can have a professional who is aware of the situation such as a GP, teacher/lecturer, nurse, manager/director of a company etc, prepare a letter stating that you are estranged from her. This can be sent with a copy of your fathers death cert if possible and we can then assess you as independent.

Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.