Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi everyone. I am an international student and I am going to enter university from this September (2015). I have already received some offers from universities.

I am now trying to narrow my choices down, but I want some more perspectives, because when I look at the rankings they all rank universities differently and they always confuse me. I applied to mechanical engineering for the following universities:
    Univ of Southampton
    Univ of Manchester
    Univ of Edinburgh
    Univ of Nottingham
    Univ of Sheffield

I also got an offer from UBC in Canada and most probably Waterloo and Tronto
    but I am mainly looking for schools in UK

Please tell me any info that helps me out.
    Maybe also in terms of reputation from industries so that I can get a goof job.

• Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Look at unistats and the modules available for each university, they will give you a better idea of which course is for you. For example, some unis will get more graduates going into engineering, or some may offer a more diverse module choice (so you wouldn't take just mechanical, you'd take some of other engineering disciplines as well.)

I would deffo take Southampton out of the 5. They are easily one of the best in the country for Mechanical Engineering. I read somewhere than they have stronger faculty that even Cambridge. This league table says it all;

2 years ago my son visited and got offers from Sheffield, Southampton and Nottingham and was impressed by all of them. He chose Sheffield in the end I think mainly because he preferred their modules and just liked the vibe better but those things will be different for everyone and there is no better or worse about that. This is also Mechanical Engineering btw.

There is a new £81m building opening at Sheffield this year mostly aimed at Engineering

Scottish universities have good employment statistics for mech eng. Ed is OK but within Scotland more of us are going for Strathclyde or Heriot Watt, or Aberdeen if you want the oil industry. Ed is good for carbon capture and storage though and as an international student probably better known internationally. I only applied for scottish unis so know very little about the English ones, the only one I visited was Cambridge which felt like visiting another planet.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.